Dizzines, light headedness and vomiting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Klaud

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have less than 10 dives. I am basic certified. I have a problem. I just passed my dry suit but I got dizzy, light headed and vomited after each dive (both times at the surface). All less than 40', one in a 15' pool. I do have significant problems equalizing my ears (old sinus problems and previous throat surgery for sleep apnea.) I am always the slowest descent in the class due to the ears. I have 3 possible explanations. High blood pressure (actually very mild. I almost don't need meds) 2nd Too tight seal at neck with dry suit or hood (I did not have problems during my basic in the Bahamas when I didn't wear even a wet suit but maybe I was just lucky) 3rd Could I be getting an effect from too aggressively trying to clear my ears by nose pinching (swallowing does not work consistently for me). I literally have to clear my ears every two or three breaths during a descent and maybe I am "blowing" too hard. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not sure that it's safe to continue diving. The light headedness has persisted for about 30 hours. Only vomited a single time.

Last edited:
I can sometimes feel a little lightheaded after multiple dives, but not even close to what you are describing.

I would make sure your drysuit seals are trimmed properly and that your hood is not too restrictive.

Secondly, but more importantly talk to a physician who understands scuba diving.

The suggestions to call DAN and see a doctor are good ones; we probably don't need six people to repeat them. You will usually get expert responses to your specific case if you ask the question in the medical forum, often from people more qualified than whoever answers the phone at DAN.

You could possibly be suffering from a sinus infection since you mentioned previous sinus issues.

It will be a lot harder to equalize your ears with one, you will feel light headed and at increased pressures it will become worse. You could also feel nauseated and possibly vomit if enough sinus drainage makes it down to the stomach.

You can also blackout if it gets bad enough so please consult your doctor and DAN and don't continue to dive in this condition.

I'm going with dehydration compounded by dry suit. Since you're new, it probably hit you pretty hard.
Do you normally drink pretty much just water and the like, or coffee/tea/sodas like most of us?(myself included). The first time I put a dry suit on was in an 80 degree indoor pool and by the end of the dive I had a severe headache and nausea. I thought I was going to pass out, everyone was very concerned. I told them thanks, but not to worry, i'd feel fine. On the way home, I pulled over and puked about 3 weeks worth of food for a while, my girlfriend had to drive. Obviously, if you still feel like this, go see a doctor. If you feel fine, i'd give it another albeit careful attempt, letting friends/dive buddies know what happened last time and you may end the dive early. Try not to work too hard while in the dry suit and relax and have fun. Just my 2 cents.

I've had that experience twice; once in a DS, the other in a WS. Both times due to heat exhaustion and dehydration.

I also think an excessively tight neck seal, diving the drysuit too squeezed or heat exhaustion are the likely culprits. Hope you get this sorted out.

I just passed my dry suit but I got dizzy, light headed and vomited

Sorry, the first time I read this I wondered what in the world compelled you to eat it in the first place? :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom