DIY Video Camera Tank / BCD Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butchbs1985

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Looking for just a little guidance if anyone has some.

I have a GoPro HD video camera that I wanted to mount behind me rather than use the head strap to mount it. I do have a tripod mount which I plan to use. Here's what I have done: (Pics attached for better explanation)
- Using a 1" female threaded PVC cap, I drilled a hole through the end through which I secured a 1/4-20 bolt so the tripod mount can screw on to the end. (Lock washers on both sides of the PVC to help secure it).
- I used a 1" PVC pipe and cut it off just above the level of my head. I then glued a male PVC threaded coupler to the end so I can screw the cap on.

I figure that there is a chance that the bold will come loose over time so the screw on cap will allow me to remove it to tighten the bolt if needed.

I drilled holes in the cap that should allow air to escape from the pipe to keep it from being too buoyant.

My questions:

- I'm a little concerned that since there is only a bolt securing the tripod mount to the pipe, the camera will turn. It fits snugly but I can't think of an easy way to secure it better. Any ideas? It doesn't have a pin like a regular tripod unfortunately.
- Any idea how buoyant PVC is?

I need to be pretty sure this will work because I leave for a cruise to Grand Bahama on Monday. Unfortunately, the local Quarry is closed for the winter so no testing before I leave.

EDIT: I plan to secure the PVC to my gear by slipping it in the small space between my BC and tank so it will be vertical behind me. The tank strap then provides enough friction to keep it in place (in my testing). You can pull it out if you really want to but I can pick up the tank / bc by grabbing and lifting the pipe.

I also have a point and shoot that I can bring. That way, I can take some other pics in case the gopro doesn't get everything.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Cap1.jpg
    Cap1.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Cap2.jpg
    Cap2.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Coupler.jpg
    Coupler.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Tripod Mount.jpg
    Tripod Mount.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Hey, Just my 2 cents, but with your limited opportunity for rework and testing, I would go with a HAND mount.
If you really CARE how your video looks, you have to AIM the camera yourself.....and despite what everyone seems to be trying to do, your hands, are still the only way to precisely aim the camera.
I have had some luck with a ContourHD cam handmounted on a goodman handle - the go-pro doesn't have a tripod thread in the bottom, but you should be able to figure something out.
If all else fails just hold it in your hands and put a strap around your wrist. I know this doesn't seem very "cool", but your video will be 1000 percent better that it would be if you just strap it to a random part of your gear and just let it run.
Check out my site at www.firefishvideo.com to see I know what I am talking about.
Good luck!

Last edited:
1st of all. Nice pics on the site.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I will rig up a 'goodmain-ish' mount from some PVC and velcor strap.

I'll also clarify my intent in my first post after posting this. thanks,

I figured you were aiming for a "different view" with the mount behind you, I'd love to just have a autonomous video bot that would follow me , but alas, that is beyond my jedi powers. The main problems with head or "other" mounts are bubbles, and jerky/erratic video. Hands free would be nice....I guess you just have to set priorities for your diving mission - good video or other - not both.
Thanks for the props on the pics!, hope you found the videos as well, as That is what I put most of my time into. ....Good luck.
PS : maybe you could rig the point and shoot and gopro together -on a bracket with a handle ......+light/strobe? just a thought.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom