DIY V Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone show me a picture or give me instructions on building a V weight?

Why couldnt you use 18 inch aluminum pipe and fill with lead drill two holes in it and the way you go

If you can borrow a v-weight that you want to copy, here's a method that makes a great mold:

Find a retangular container that is a little longer and higher than the v-weight.
Puchase a bag of FixAll from HomeDepot ($8-12) and mix it up.
Plug or tape off any bolt holes that are present in the master V-weight.
Spray WD-40 over the master V-weight and place in into your container, flat side down
Pour your FixAll mixture into the container, completely covering the V-weight.
Let it harden & remove your master.

You now have a mold that will hold up to a few castings before cracking. The thicker the mold, the longer it will last. You'll need to drill new bolt holes in the weight that you cast, but that is easy.

Worked like a charm for us.

Make a wooden one as a plug
lay in a pit of slightly damp (NOT WET) sand to form up a mould
remove plug carefully
pour in molten lead
fettle

you can use plaster of paris to make a more exact mould, but be sure to seal the wooden plug (paint wax varnish) otherwise it won't release.
(The lead will shrink slightly on cooling allowing it to release)

How about a piece of angle iron from Home Depot and some plumber's putty to dam up the ends? Drill a couple of holes and you're done.

Yep that works, I wasn't exactly sure what a V weight looked like so sand casting was the safe answer... Steel or Aluminium angle will work well if all you want is a 90deg vee, or you could fold up a mould out of sheet metal... I usually rest metal moulds in sand though for support when i pour... lead tends to be heavy so your mould needs to be well suported and in a place where spills are not an issue.... outside is best for ventilation of fumes!

You can use sand to block the ends too.... then just saw to length....
Structural angle will give you a rounded V architectural a sharp V choose your animal!

Back
Top Bottom