DIY TRAY an ARM Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

visa67

Registered
Reaction score
I am shooting with a compact camera and 1 single strobe, supported by a single side tray (inon).
Since I have bought a second strobe, I need to upgrade the whole system with a double tray.

I know there are on the market different shape and modela, but I would realize by myself a complete customized system to support the camera-housing in the middle, and the 2 strobes.

Does anybody realized this item ?
any suggestion about material:alluminium would be the best, what about light iron with epoxy-resin coat ?
What about the join-ball ?

I wish to try to use the carbonium ... but it seems to be quite difficult for me ;(

Thanks, Vito

I do not know what "light iron" would be. I used aluminum to make my tray:

P2050528.jpg

N

which type of alluminium ?
did you painted or coated it ?

tkx

It is 6000 series aluminum aluminum bar. Aluminum does not need to be painted but I had this one powder coated. Krylon Fusion paint will work pretty good and is much simpler to do. The grips may look like a particular commercial type but they are Serfa mtb grips on aluminum tube filled with epoxy resin and a stainless bolt imbedded in each end, one for the ball, the other for the tray. The thread is 1/4X20 I think it is, standard tripod size. The tri-wing knobs also have the bolts set in epoxy. I actually used #10 screws in the tri-wings but this was because the tray was designed originally for an Ikelite housing (which uses number 10 screw holes). Therefore with the FIX housing I need the black adapter plate, which is DIY also. It adapts the FIX housing with 1/4X20 attach holes to the tray which is set for Ikelite number 10 screw size and spacing.

P2200260.jpg

This version is based on an old Oceanic Nikonos tray I had laying around:

IMG_0210.jpg

With a Canon OEM housing on the tray:

P2200259.jpg

The adapter plate:

P2200263.jpg

N

That Is a very nice tray! I am in the process of making a new one with a goodman handle on it for GoPro video cave cave diving. I plan in having the GoPro and two lights on it. I have already thrown some things together and will be making some modifications based on what you posted.

I plan to lurk! :)

Aluminum bar of suitable type is available at many hardware stores in the metals bin. Use a "Unibit" or clone to drill the nice even holes. This can be done with a clamp and a hand drill but a drill press does better of course. The balls and arms can be gotten from many places, including the place in my sig. You will just have to spend some bucks there, there is no good DIY for those balls without more machinery that you likely have.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom