DIY tank paint cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frothchild

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay Scuba DIY world, goal, to strip old painted tanks and leave them clean blasted. I have read about chemical strippers and on Luxfer's website, they recommend a pressure abrasive blaster. The question, have you done it before, and what is your recommendation?
scubatanks.jpg

Baking soda blasting.

If you already have an air compressor (not for filling scuba tanks, a regular one) you can add get a cheap abrasive blaster. Portable Abrasive Blaster Kit $36 + media... it does make one hell of a mess if you don't use a (much more expensive) blast cabinet, though.

So what type of media do you use? I sand blast but I know you can get walnutshell also. Is sand to abraisive?

You don't want to use any blasting media that's too hard (silica, sand, glass bead etc). You can work harden the aluminum. Soft stuff like walnut shell or baking soda should do the trick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom