DIY Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you ask is pretty difficult, but can be done. There is another on-line SCUBA board which specializes in this stuff, and have formus for it:

http://forums.deeperblue.net/

Al Azom (cool name): Go to Spearboard. These guys have reported on hundreds of homemade spearguns and some not so homemade. However, I assume you want to make a speargun because you can't afford to buy a factory gun? You see, most of the spearos don't actually make a gun. They make a nice wood stock and fit it out with expensive components from small manufacturers like Alexander, Wong, Kitto, Riffe, etc. In the USA, there are more "homemade" guns than can be counted. Somewhere, somebody has made a cheap gun. Hey, wait a minute, I helped a friend build a couple of guns using homemade triggers, and one with a Biller trigger. My suggestion would be to build a wood gun using the Biller trigger. If you want to build a trigger instead of buying one there are pictures and details of a neat trigger with plexiglas housing. Do a search on Spear Board.

Thank guys for the reply.
In fact, the biggest problem is the shipping cost, so I do not want to ship wood.
The idea of having the trigger from a know company is a good idea.
Would they sell the trigger separately ?and where to buy ?
Would you please help me to find their web sits, as I was unable to find it on the Google.

www.spearboard.com
www.wongspearguns.com
www.spear-diver.com
www.poseidonsub.com
www.speargun.com

Check also Steve Alexander's site and Bill Kitto's. By the way what kind of wood are you planning to use? Neptonic Systems is selling trigger mechanism also.

I agree on the shipping cost when I ordered my guns add to it the customs duties but when the long PVC tube arrived at my doorsteps I forget about it.

Have fun and good luck on gun building.

Cheers/Safe diving,

Chris......

These parts are inexpensive but reliable. You can make a gun with plastic grip with cartridge insert or buy a cartridge which can be inserted directly in the wood. However, if you buy this second type you will have to make up something for the shooting line release. I use a gun like this and a shark fin is welded to the shaft which holds the line loops. Shafts are 5/16 or 9/32 inch. Rubber load up to 270 pounds approx. Ask if they have the new V3 trigger from Australia. That cartridge has hardened steel parts. Either is OK.
http://www.slinginsteel.com/

I am planing to buy a trigger and build my speargun, the Idea that I want to build small size 40" gun but with strong power (6 powerabnds ).
So I want to see everybody's gun and what type of trigger they have.
What do you think, is it a good idea(6 powerband on a small gun) , what about the teak is it going to do the work.

There is a guy on Spearboard and Deeperblue who has told many tales regarding his modifications of a small Riffe Metaltech gun. He uses a heavy 3/8 shaft and four heavy rubber bands. He has done numerous tests, and reports on his kills. Personally, I don't approve. Recoil is not the spearo's friend. However, you are asking the wrong question. A gun is designed for a purpose and will operate within a certain range of parameters. It will never be an "all purpose" weapon no matter how it is designed. A short, heavy bolt will never travel as far or as true as a longer arrow due to hydrodynamics. A longer, thinner shaft has better penetration and has better holding power due to its flexibility. A stiff arrow will twist and tear in the fish. This can be mitigated with use of a detachable head but adds to complexity. Now, to the question. Until you reveal what you are up to it will be difficult to procede further with any analysis. Are you attempting to shoot tuna or grouper (merou, cod), snappers or what? Don't say "turtles", please, because such a gun would be best suited for that.

Back
Top Bottom