DIY shutter release lever for Nauticam housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaker

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

most of Nauticam 4/3 housings are intended to be used with a wrist strap where you are holding the housing with the right hand. The housing shutter release button can be pushed easily. If you have 2 strobes and 2 grips it can be difficult to hold the housing and action the shutter release button. Some other Nauticam housings like the NA-EM1 or the NA-GH4 come with 2 grips and a vertical shutter release lever, which is ergonomically better than having a horizontal button.
I usually use 2 strobes with my Nauticam NA-GX7 and I had to solve this problem by creating a vertical lever. It's a mechanism that translates the horizontal movement in a vertical one, to action the housings shutter release button. It's attached with 2 screws in place of wrist strap. It works very well and I can finally shoot photos while holding the housing with only one hand.
_1230923.jpg_1230941.jpg_1230976.jpgOhne Titel.jpg

Hi Shaker,
very interesting, but where it is possible to find this vertical leverage ??
Scipionems

Scipionems
Do you mean the part or how does it convert horizontal force into vertical movement?

Hi Scipione,

you can easily find the screws, washers and the O ring, the other pieces are hand made.
I have an other lever with all the pieces (the one i dove with), it's based on the same principle but simpler. If you are interested I can send it to you.

here, you can see all the peaces you need:

_1230919.jpg

Very nice modification! The horizontal shutter is similar to my NA-EM5 housing and it is a bit painful to use, quite unergonomic. Also interested in the tray/handles in the photo. What make are they?

Hi,

Very nice modification! The horizontal shutter is similar to my NA-EM5 housing and it is a bit painful to use, quite unergonomic. Also interested in the tray/handles in the photo. What make are they?

I had this concept originally for the NA-EM5, but i sold the housing and didn't try it on. I believe it would fit the NA-EM5/EM10 too.
Regarding the tray/handles, it's a unic DIY peace, I wanted one that fits exactly my hands and with a better buoyancy. I made the Handles with PVC foam, it's a very rigid and light material.

Attachments

• Poignet_PVC.jpg
    Poignet_PVC.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 439
Hi Scipione,

you can easily find the screws, washers and the O ring, the other pieces are hand made.
I have an other lever with all the pieces (the one i dove with), it's based on the same principle but simpler. If you are interested I can send it to you.

here, you can see all the peaces you need:

View attachment 192811
Hi Shaker,
yes i'm very interested in this mechanism, but i'm not very good with bricolage....
I will contact you in PM for your lever :wink:
Thank you in advance :)
Scipionems

Where can I get one of these from - excellent MOD!

I have the NA-GH3 and its a right pain using a dual handle setup! (But not such a pain, to fork out 1500$+ on the NA-GH4!!)

Hi Shaker,

Very nice design, could you please let me know the thread size of the screws that are attached to the housing? thanks!

Calvin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom