DIY - Sea & Sea Fiber optic cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to replace my Sea & Sea Fiber optic cable which cost $70. My solution that I am working with is using a toslink or mini fiber optic cable. I found this cable cheaply under $5. I tested the cable and they work very nicely above water. Not sure under pressure, but anyway. Plus these cables are much more flexable than the original.

My issue is how to create a adapter to fit the sea and sea strobe. On the camera side I can replace what I comes with the original with anything I want. But on the strobe it has a 1/4 inch round hole that I need to plug the cable into. Anyideas???

toslink:
For only $2.86 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini to Mini M/M OD:5.0mm, Assembly Type, Metallic Body - 3ft | Mini Plug to Mini Plug

mini to mini:
For only $1.22 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1.5FT Optical Toslink Cable | Toslink to Toslink

These are really short and are uncoiled, seem like they'd be a significant entanglement hazard.

I sell the Fantasea coiled Nano F/O cable for $37, it fits the Sea & Sea. Comes with a velcro attachment for the camera too.

Jack

I did make one myself - you CAN trim down the optical cable to a size that will work for you:

In the first photo I used a simple piece of flat rubber with a hole drilled through it for the optical cable. I also drilled a small hole to allow me to use a zip tie to hold down the cable to the strobe.

In the second photo, you can see a velcro strap, to keep the cable attached to the handle and out of the way. the end of the optical cable is circled in green - if you notice - the end of the cable was heated up to form a small "blob" on the end to help in the absorbtion of light. This was also done on the other end as well.

Could it be prettier, yes, but, it does work. (and it works in the pool perfectly!)

I am going to work on cleaning up the mount method a bit (somehow) to the strobe, but, I can use it as it is without any problems.

Hope this helps out!

Frank’s Scuba Diving » DIY Optical Strobe Cable

Also you may notice the white mount that is mounted below the strobe, that is for my Dive-Rite light, so I can also mount that to the camera setup for a video light.

I did make one myself - you CAN trim down the optical cable to a size that will work for you:

In the first photo I used a simple piece of flat rubber with a hole drilled through it for the optical cable. I also drilled a small hole to allow me to use a zip tie to hold down the cable to the strobe.

In the second photo, you can see a velcro strap, to keep the cable attached to the handle and out of the way. the end of the optical cable is circled in green - if you notice - the end of the cable was heated up to form a small "blob" on the end to help in the absorbtion of light. This was also done on the other end as well.

Could it be prettier, yes, but, it does work. (and it works in the pool perfectly!)

I am going to work on cleaning up the mount method a bit (somehow) to the strobe, but, I can use it as it is without any problems.

Hope this helps out!

Frank’s Scuba Diving » DIY Optical Strobe Cable

Also you may notice the white mount that is mounted below the strobe, that is for my Dive-Rite light, so I can also mount that to the camera setup for a video light.

How does the cable stay in the strobe with out falling out?

this is the end to my cable. I will try to use the ends to my old cable when it breaks. Right now I was trying to make a spare to take on my trip.

These are really short and are uncoiled, seem like they'd be a significant entanglement hazard.

I sell the Fantasea coiled Nano F/O cable for $37, it fits the Sea & Sea. Comes with a velcro attachment for the camera too.

Jack

What is your site?

does it connect to ys15 and ys25?

I would think the fiber toslink cable would be less of a hazard. It is much less delicate looking the the sea and sea. The cable can be snuggly wrapped around the strobe arm and tied of with cable ties. I have not seen yours, but the sea & sea cable is a huge hazard if not taken care of.

How does the cable stay in the strobe with out falling out?

this is the end to my cable. I will try to use the ends to my old cable when it breaks. Right now I was trying to make a spare to take on my trip.

I used a piece of flat rubber to fit under the yellow - and I glued the cable to the rubber with a little bit of aqua seal.

I believe you said your camera has a hole that it goes in right? If its 1/4" it might be possible to make something with a small piece of vinyl tubing to slip over the optical cable.

Do you have a link to a photo of the manufacturers cable?

I used a piece of flat rubber to fit under the yellow - and I glued the cable to the rubber with a little bit of aqua seal.

I believe you said your camera has a hole that it goes in right? If its 1/4" it might be possible to make something with a small piece of vinyl tubing to slip over the optical cable.

Do you have a link to a photo of the manufacturers cable?

I was looking in home depot(hate this place) for some sort of stopper, I need to go to a pluming store to see if I can find a rubber stopper or small tubbing.

This is the entire cable:
http://www.divervision.com/catalog/images/product/seaandsea/50107_2.jpg

This would work with my cable. I can connect the cable to this. This is the connectors:
http://www.divervision.com/catalog/images/product/seaandsea/90001_2.jpg

I used a Toslink and lightly trimmed (razor) the plug square end until it was round and fit snugly in strobe receptacle. Works fine. I use short velcro cable ties to keep the cable snugged to my grip/arm assembly. On the camera end (an Olympus housing) I removed the diffuser from the flash area, used it as a pattern, cut a new one from white plastic (I used a plastic car license plate like dealers use for advertising .... a few stacked credit cards work also .... get em' in the mail all the time), and drilled a hole for the Toslink and mounting screws. Saved the original diffuser "just in case".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom