DIY scuba knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am making a scuba knife from a cheap beef steak knife
Following the suggestions of others, I used the type of knife with metal pins in the plast handle. It seems the ones without pins can break because the metal blade separates from the plastic handle

IMG_20201217_110423.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_105449.jpg
    IMG_20201217_105449.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20201217_105508.jpg
    IMG_20201217_105508.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 170
Now I have to mill the tip of the knife after I cut off a piece and to make a sheath

Fold some webbing a few times, fastening loops, top flap stitch sideways first and then the sides

I just had the pins in a kitchen knife snap and the blade flip out of the handle. This happened because of one to many trips thru the dishwasher. Would likely have happened alot sooner with salt water exposure. Make sure it's full tang with high grade stainless steel blade and bronze pins.

Drill.jpg Tools.jpg

I used a drill with a kind of grinder drill bit to blunt the cut tip of the knife. I am not 100% happy of the result but it's ok

I also made a hole in the plastic handle to put a line if necessary
I am not sure I am using the right tools or I am using them in the right way, the result doesn't look professional but it does the job. The tip is blunt and it doesn't cut
Now I have to find some webbing to make the sheath

A feedback I got on this tipe of DIY knives is that it's better to use knives made of AISI316 or AISI316L steel knives if available, while AISI304 steel is less resistant to saltwater
Also, if possible some water should be used to cool down the blade while cutting it. If the metal gets overheated it looses its hardness properties. In my case I didn't cool the blade down I just cut the tip
For the webbing for sure I can find it in scuba diving shops, but I am searching if it is sold elsewhere maybe in haberdashery shops or similar

The best thing to do is buy one of the cheap holiday titanium knives more or less made for diving. For travel where you don’t want to check a bag, go to a store once there buy a cheap steak knife use it for the trip and throw it away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom