DIY Pontoon Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I was considering making a small pontoon boat/work boat to do light salvage in protected waters (harbors and bays). Was considering a simple frame/deck supported by 55 gallon plastic barrels but would consider any similar ideas. Has anyone tried this? If so what did you use and how did it work?

Back in my youth and on a lake in Kansas, we created a rig by welding 55 gal drums together. We used a good epoxy paint to try to seal them up, but over a course of about 3 years they began to rust and develop leaks. I see no reason that the plastic drum would not work equally as well. I would just make sure that the plastic is UV treated, other wise they will become brittle and crack extremely easily.

I was not overly concerned about the plastic barrels as I can replace them at $20 each so if I get 2-3 years out of them that would be fine. What did you use for a frame and deck? How did you attach the barrels to the frame? I was considering a deck about 8'x16' supported by a barrel on each corner.

Ever considered foaming the inside of the barrels?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I never considered it but that sounds like a great idea. What product would you use? How would you do that in a way that insures 100% of the interior is filled with foam?

I was not overly concerned about the plastic barrels as I can replace them at $20 each so if I get 2-3 years out of them that would be fine. What did you use for a frame and deck? How did you attach the barrels to the frame? I was considering a deck about 8'x16' supported by a barrel on each corner.

Damn, that was a long time ago to try and remember, but I will try. We actually turned it into a houseboat of sorts and the entire thing was quite heavy. We had 6 barrels welded together on each side of it so it must have been about 18-20 foot long and ity was 12 foot wide. We used 16' 2x12's for the main trusses and notched a radius in them to fit over the barrels. the barrels were merely tied in with rope. We lost one side due to a large speedboat wake and sank one side of our pride and joy. After that we weld tabs on the ends of the barrels to anchor to the wooden trusses.

This was all in a fresh water lake and painted extremely well. I don't think it last work worth a damn in salt water.

I don't remember the name of the stuff but you get it in five gallon buckets and mix in the activator. They will have it at a industrial supply store. Use the existing opening in the barrel. Set the barrel up on a 2x4 so the hole is slightly raised. Mix and pour in foam. It pours as a thick slurry but expands rapidly. A little goes a long way. It will expand and fill all the voids.

I don't remember the name of the stuff but you get it in five gallon buckets and mix in the activator. They will have it at a industrial supply store. Use the existing opening in the barrel. Set the barrel up on a 2x4 so the hole is slightly raised. Mix and pour in foam. It pours as a thick slurry but expands rapidly. A little goes a long way. It will expand and fill all the voids.

Test a smaller sample first. If you use too much it might just expand enough to crack open the barrel.

We used a barge made from steel barrels for supporting Japanese intro diving in Kaneohe. I'm guessing it was cobbled together from 2x4's covered with plywood and Astroturf. We towed it back and forth to the inside reefs for years. I think they were metal. Maybe they were plastic. Epoxy-painted metal welded shut would work. I have 3 plastic 55-gallon drums that I used for years for pond filtration - they sealed on top with a metal strap band but could not take any pressure at all without leaking. The side and bottom fittings never leaked.
Foaming barrels would cost some serious coin even buying foam at wholesale. Good luck with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom