DIY lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have come to a point where canister lights are becoming a necessity but I cant get myself to spend $1500 on a light especially with a light head that is so fragile and expensive to replace.

I have looked into building my own light but there isn't much info out there on building good high output lights in the 25-50W range. I have looked into getting the book from airspeed press but I dont know if its worth the price as it is kinda old in comparison to how fast light technology has changed in the past couple years.

I know very little about lights themselves but I can make anything and have all the tools necessary including lathes and mills but I dont know squat about light parts or how to engineer lights.

I would like to make one with LED's that has high output like a 25W HOD is this possible ?

My primary concerns are getting the light output I want and putting that light in a head that is durable. So many heads are nothing more than a bulb and reflector, what the heck. companies must know thats stupid cause people will break them.

I figure I can get a battery (NiMh) and charger from a company that already produces them for die lights but I would like to make the head and canister myself. Can you point me in the right direction and maybe lend me some sources for good LED's and light components. Thanks

I have a friend who is trying to get in contact with a guy who has a source for 20W LEDs (800 lumen). I don't know what the price is gonna be, but it shouldn't be more than $30 per LED reflector combo. The last one that he was making were a lower wattage, but they were $10 per.
The same guy has made several canister lights with three of the lower wattage LEDs in a single head, and he says that he gets about as much as a 18W HID. The guy is on cavediver.net.

This is a thread that he started about the 20W LEDs

I also know where to get 10Ah NiMH battery packs. One of these packs will fit into the smallest HID canisters.

10Ah NiMH pack I have not heard back from the guy regarding the operating voltage of the LEDs. If 12V is to much then you will need to make a voltage regulator; they are fairly simple to make.

What I would suggest is buying however many of the LEDs makes you happy, and then taking rectangular or square aluminum stock and milling out part of it so that you can fit the LEDs inside. In the back of the light head you will need to install a cable gland (at least IP68). To seal the head you will probably need to use a gasket and a tempered glass lens. Drill holes in the glass no closer than 1/2" apart and corresponding holes in the light head and the gasket.

The can is fairly simple. You need another cable gland, another gasket, latches, and a switch and boot. Take some PVC pipe big enough for your battery to fit in and cut it to length. Do you have one of those rotating tables for the mill? If you do you can use that to cut out a bottom for the canister and then glue it in place. For the lid I would use 1" thick acrylic and cut out another circle. You can use either the lathe or mill to cut out the reduced diameter section of the lid. For me it would be easier to use the lathe. Drill holes for the cable gland and the switch. You also need to drill holes in the side for the latches.

Here are links you may find helpful.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/158610-diy-35w-canister-light.html

Light Component Parts
New Page 1

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/180198-diy-dive-lights.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/124443-cannister-lid-seal-type-please-help.html

I forgot to mention that you have to try pretty hard to mes up an LED. As long as you supply it the correct voltage they last a really long time.

There is plent of info out there on how to build a good canister light. like....Dive light

I would recommend starting with a halogen MR16 in a maglite. Its simple and cheap and gives off heaps of light.
Then move onto LED or HID. You can keep the original canister but will probably need a new lite head.
IMHO halogen lights are very under rated. Sure they are less efficent than LED or HID and the colour temp is lower. But they are cheap, easy to repair and come in a huge range of wattages and focal patterns. Plus they can be turned on and off as quickly as you want unlike HID.
My 1st Halogen can light including mag light, cannister, bulb, wiring, switch etc cost me alot less than my 1st HID bulb and battery pack.

can.jpg

Pic of my MK2 can on left (unfinnished)MK1 can on right

Image219.jpg

MK2 can. Note that the batteries sit in a seal compartment in the bottom of the can. If the can floods due to Oring failure or cable/gland failure the batteries remain safe and dry. The inner gland can be opened to release any built up pressure from battery gasing. If the batteries need servicing or replacing the bottom end cap can be cut off with a hacksaw and replaced with a new one.
No special tools needed. Just a hacksaw, drill, sand paper, pencil, ruler, oven

Is it just me or are these older threads disappearing? None of the threads that marchand linked to are showing up for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom