DIY Hookah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally don't think it's suitable... If you look at the specs on it, it's max pressure is just in the range of Intermediate Pressure (IP) supplied by a normal first stage. But a traditional first stage is depth compensated (that 125 to 145 IP is above ambient)... so you will loose relative IP with depth. Also, look at it's airflow... max 1.2 CF/minute at 90 psi. If you have a good RMV (respiratory minute volume) of .5 CFM, then at 30 ft you would be using 1.0 CFM. Above 90 psi, that compressor's output is going to drop. The specs don't list a duty cycle (is it rated for continuous duty?) or even an actual run time with a particular battery.
I hate to say it, but it just doesn't look viable to me.

Respectfully,

James

@waterone
1.2cfm is not enough. The compressor itself is probably fine in terms of cleanliness, but you'd need two of them to get enough air for me to be willing to do anything other than cleaning pools or boat hulls.

More important than that. The biggest batteries are 12ah, so 12*18=216w*.8=172.8w usable out of the battery. The compressor is probably around 600w consumption based on 1.2cfm@90psi and other DC compressors out there. 172.8/600=.288hours of run time, so basically 15 minutes. If that's long enough, then happy days, it may be worth looking at for pool cleaning or boat hulls, but that's all I'd use it for. Nothing deeper than 10ft due to the 1.2cfm not being enough.

Thank You both for the information. While I didn't plan on using it past 15ft (mostly 10) it looks like the batteries will not be up to the task unless I set them up in parallel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom