DIY Gaiters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just started using a drysuit and am experiencing floaty legs. After reading the various posts about new drysuit divers buying gaiters and then forgetting to use them after a few dives, I want to go cheap for my tranisitonal period.

What opinions on using velcro strip from Strapworks? My thought is to buy about 5' of 6" wide hook/loop strips. Then cut them to 4 15" lengths, and alternate to create the gaiters.

So I would start with one 6" x 15" strip oriented long axis parallel to my shin and hook side out. Then a loop strip, loop side in, overlapped on the first piece by about 1.5" on top and more on bottom (to end up with sorta conical shape). Third piece oriented like first and overlapped similarly. The final piece overlaps #1 and #3. I expect to have to trim the strips into mildly trapezoidal shapes to get the right cone profile.

I figure for ~$11 I would get a pair of gaiters with a minimum of 1.5" engagement on the hook/loops (for my calf top). Hopefully I was descriptive enough to get the idea across. Please share your feedback. Thanks!

I used 1" wide by about 15 or 18" double sided velcro as gaiters for a while. I called it my ghetto gaiters. I only wrapped one length around my calf. Worked great to keep the air out of my feet!

I have done something similiar now that I am drysuit diving. Works just as good as any brand name gaiter out there and for alot less money.

And it looks so classy.

OP are you diving hard soled integrated boots or soft socks and boots over them?

M

My suit has hard soled integrated boots.

If you have hard soles then i would forgo any gaiters and get some ankle weights......

One of the benefits of the integrated hard sole boots is you can let some warm air into them by lifting your feet a bit......very nice on long cold dives…..

Gaiters will prevent you from realizing this benefit.....

Can't do this with Rock boots as they lace up tight......

M

I finally got a chance to test the new velcro gaiters and they worked just as well as my buddy's Dive Rite ones. Only issue was making sure of the orientation of the edges so one leg didn't hook on to the other while walking to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom