DIY e/o connector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shenzhen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought 5 underwater connectors and test them in my hydrostatic chamber within 24 hours under 20 bar with salt water. No damage or leakage. Of course it shouldn't be connected underwater but I can disconnect it underwater at any time. So I made DIY drysuit, canister and light e/o connectors. Nice working for that price!
Connector.jpgDSC02484.jpg DSC02482.jpg DSC024582.jpg DSC02459.jpg DSC02465.jpg DSC024792.jpg DSC02508.jpg

What would be the problem with connecting them underwater? The problem I have with standard 2-pin E/O connectors is that they are not securely connected. Any pull on the cable and they come out. I've been looking for something with a more positive locking connection for a long time.

What would be the problem with connecting them underwater?
There's only one o-ring and two contacts inside. It works quite well if you close it on the surface but leaves a little liquid between contacts when you connect it underwater. To prevent this, I use thick silicone grease. Best results can be achieved if you add small o-rings on each contact.

I purchased a suitable o-rings and improved connectors. Every male contact (1.5 mm) put o-ring with an inner diameter of 1.4 mm. Now it can connect and disconnect even in salt water.

For test I connected them to 12 volts and measured the leakage current between the contacts. Then lowered connectors into salt water. The home underwater test took place in the following order:
Voltage off - Unplug connectors - Pause 10 seconds - Plug connectors - Voltage on - Measuring leakage current - Voltage off - Unplug connectors - and so on...
For several hours, I repeated the test 100 times. The maximum leakage current was 0.000005 Amp, typical value 0.000003. That is, the resistance between the contacts was more than 2 megohms, even in salt water.

Past weekend I made ​​a test in open water +1 degree Celsius, dry suit, dry gloves. Repeatedly plugged and unplugged dry suit heater connector, replaced light head with a video light.
These connectors are not as comfortable as the original e/o connectors, but in general the test is successful.
Home contacts examined under a microscope. No corrosion.
4923266.jpg

I have made similar thing with clasic EURO connector (computer power cable extension ) 3ft Computer 18 AWG Power Cord Extension (IEC320C14 to IEC320C13) .... they are litle bulky but bullet proof and aveable anywhere and cheap.

Point is that are moulded completly in plastic , special part where is joint between Cu cable and brass socket ( can create galvanic series ) and water could not leak through wires .

( have cut one on metalurgical saw to be completly sure )

Plug and socket are designed for high current , high voltages and both have suitable dimensions.

Q:What is point of E/O cord ? A: That the appropriate distance between the two conductive pins (insulating path) and that electric can not establish electrical circuit (leaking current )

I have made thin seal and put it on a male plug . When connected electrical path is isolated and water is and the water is squeezed out of the connector because of its shape. ( without cavities in the

connector ) . But for safety it must be connector marked for use only with low voltages.

Besides euro connector gives a wide specter of connectors ( straight orientated , angled ) for server racks is also extension combination completly moulded in plastic with male input on one branch and two

separated branches with female output (UPS to disk array/server ) could be used for video lights splitter ....

I have made similar thing with clasic EURO connector (computer power cable extension ) /.../ IEC320
/.../

I have made thin seal and put it on a male plug /.../

Hi Lucca, great idea. I guess the seal mentioned above is a flat one, not o-ring? Which material did you use? (yes, I know it's 6 y.o. thread, but it does not make it less interesting :) )

Hi Lucca, great idea. I guess the seal mentioned above is a flat one, not o-ring? Which material did you use? (yes, I know it's 6 y.o. thread, but it does not make it less interesting :) )

Yes , flat seal with surface of female side , but just put over three male pins side , made from bicycle tyre.

IMO: It is OK for DIY examples or your own light , etc.. but in real world it is fine that you have standard
connectors that can someone other use your tank or light. But it is dirty cheap and something more you
have Y connectors too :p

smaller 230V Ysplit
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Y-Cable-Two-Pin-Doppler-Abzweigung-Approximately/dp/B073TZBMQR

Euro 230V Y split
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulk-cable-717-Euro-Cable-CEE/dp/B0017ZKW5A
( these are mostly used inside servers racks )

Back
Top Bottom