diy canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chatfouz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i have been looking at those canister lights.
i dont know if this is a way to make it simpler. i have a used aquarium canister filter. a HOT magnum. it has a really good seal on it. i figured its a prebuilt canister!. run the tube out to a maglite head as the rest of those directions say. idk does that seem like a reasonable idea?

the wall of the canister is very thin....I would bet after about 33 ft it will no longer hold in the pressure, unless you can find a way to fill all the airspace with say an epoxy. Its a good idea, however, i would bet that it doesnt do very well.

also, for my investment, I would consider just using PVC with a couple end caps. Its a tested pressure material, and its cheap. Also make sure you seal the wires on both ends near the mag lite and the Canister...reason being, if one develops a leak, you dont want the water traveling thru the wire to the other part...

also, for my investment, I would consider just using PVC with a couple end caps. Its a tested pressure material, and its cheap. Also make sure you seal the wires on both ends near the mag lite and the Canister...reason being, if one develops a leak, you dont want the water traveling thru the wire to the other part...
It's my understanding PVC will crack easily when under pressure from the outside is applied. If you're just using it for rec diving, I say it's worth a shot. If you're using it for tech, don't take chances.

It's my understanding PVC will crack easily when under pressure from the outside is applied. If you're just using it for rec diving, I say it's worth a shot. If you're using it for tech, don't take chances.

I'd be pretty surprised if SCH 80 PVC with end caps gave out anywhere near even the deepest technical depths. There's plenty of people on the MSN site using PVC canisters at technical depths without issues. I know my own has been to recreational limits without any ill effects. For schedule 80 you're talking about a rated working pressure of 370 PSI for 3", thats something like 800 feet deep. Yes, for many reasons in a commercial light delrin is a better choice, but for making a home made light I really don't see the need for the added expense.

Jake

I can vouch for the PVC. I took my home made light to 130 feet, no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom