Question DIY buoyancy for GoPro and light tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver With Altitude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I re-purposed a foam weightlifting neck pad which didn’t work well on my barbell. I cut off sections of the pad to attach to the arms for my camera lights. Compressing the foam with cable ties resulted in neutral buoyancy just below the surface in my bathtub. It’s fairly dense foam. Does anyone have experience with this foam underwater? I’m wondering if there’s an NDL depth at which the ties could become too loose.
84B4A7FB-E899-43C7-B076-8FC587A079DD.jpeg
58D42C80-1EF8-4C62-9F8F-BB83FA363DCC.jpeg
E69521FC-8C89-45EE-9AD1-24632CF88C2B.jpeg

Have you found the weight of your rig to be a concern? I dive with a DSLR in an aluminum housing, with two heavy strobes, mostly in fresh water, and I don't find it particularly hefty.

That foam should do the job assuming it doesn't absorb water though. Good thinking...

I’ve only taken it diving once. It did feel heavier underwater than I expected. It wasn’t a big problem, but I had to be more mindful of it than I’d prefer. I think it’s for that reason that I’ve heard several pro and amateur photographers recommend making your rig neutral. I’m assuming I’ll need to add more buoyancy to make it neutral at depth.

I dive with a GoPro tray setup and a single video light typically. Never considered making my rig neutral. It’s a fairly tiny rig. Out of curiosity - What challenges do you face that you need to work on its buoyancy?

I would be surprised if that foam retains its same buoyancy characteristics at depth...

I dive with a GoPro tray setup and a single video light typically. Never considered making my rig neutral. It’s a fairly tiny rig. Out of curiosity - What challenges do you face that you need to work on its buoyancy?
No major challenges, but as I said, I’ve heard, or read advice from multiple photographers (including on this forum) who recommend neutral buoyancy. I think it makes sense because I’ll be able to pay a little less attention to the equipment and a little more to my subject.

Ok. In my experience a GoPro rig only starts getting a little unwieldy with the weight of a 2nd mini dive light but still manageable. I stick to a single light on most dives because of it. If you absolutely want to use two dive lights I guess it’s a good experiment. Hope you find a solution that I can copy some day…
Edit: found this older thread where an FM points to a readymade kit… Neutral Buouancy kit Gopro

Ok. In my experience a GoPro rig only starts getting a little unwieldy with the weight of a 2nd mini dive light but still manageable. I stick to a single light on most dives because of it. If you absolutely want to use two dive lights I guess it’s a good experiment. Hope you find a solution that I can copy some day…
Edit: found this older thread where an FM points to a readymade kit… Neutral Buouancy kit Gopro
That kit look pretty pricey! I think it would be cheaper just to buy the appropriate buoyant arms. I'll be trying out my foam rig next month in Bonaire. I'll report back on how it holds up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom