DIY Backplate pad/pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldsmoke:
Anyone ever made a backplate pad/pocket?

Yes I have :wink:

For the DIY the easiest apporach is a piece of old wetsuit, and some zip ties.

Layout the shape you want using the plate, mark the outline and holes and cut away. Zip tie it on.

Personally, I've never had the need for any padding, and I prefer a couple loops of bungee across the bottom of my plate for Lift bag storage, so pads/ pockets have never been a priority. YMMV

Tobin

I dive mostly cold water so I don't really need it as a pad - mostly just for a pocket. I have been carrying my smb in a butt pouch but it kinda bugs me and I wanted to try the backplate pad to stow it. Since I'm not sure I'm going to like it any better I don't want to shell out tons of $$ to buy a pre-made one. I'm sure I could just cut the pattern from cordura and sew it up, and add some gromets. My main question is how do I deal with the opening - is it velcro'ed or is that even necessary? Also, is there any reason to add any other material other than the cordura - like something to make it more rigid or some padding? Like I said I don't really need padding and I am not too interested in adding any more neoprene but perhaps there are other reasons. Thanks.

You probably dont need a velcro or whatsoever. I have one of those 'pre-made' ones that comes as a package, the opening of the pocket is elastic, so it stretches when you put stuff in, and a tug releases it.

After your lift bag, SMB is in there, it acts as a cushion, so you have no furthur need or any padding or anykind. Hope this helps!

Good luck and post pictures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom