Diving with the family but where??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlMitch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone
I will be taking my parents (sprightly 65 year olds) and the little one (3yrs and a new 10 month old) on a bit of a dive holiday next year late June or early July, probably 5 or 6 nights. So I'm limited on where I can go.

The limitations are as follows:
One flight away from Singapore
Not too far away from the airport (2-3 hours drive)
Preferably a beach or at least just a very relaxing atmosphere/ place to unwind
Dive sites are close to the resort (dont want to do double tank dives, one dive in the morning and one in the afternoon)
Decent snorkeling at the resort for my folks
Must have AC and be fairly comfortable, budget is a concern though

So at the moment I'm considering either Moalboal or Anilao in the Philippines. In terms of resorts, so far Magic Island in Moalboal looks quite nice (but no beach) as does Buceo in Anilao (rocky beach).

Any other areas I should consider or resorts in these areas you can recommend???
If you have a really good idea that is not in the Philippines then that would be fine too.

I know July is not a very good month weather wise... but is it that bad? Or will it simply be a case of how lucky do I feel?

One dive in the morning and one in the afternoon? That is tricky!!
My suggestion is PG.
Scuba Board invasion in PG is on 18th June next yr so you will just miss the crowd.
As far as I know this is the only place in the country that the dive boat goes out for ONE dive only and return to base. And most of the dive sites are within 15mins from the resort unless you want a special trip to Verde Island.
Where to stay?
1. Campbell which is on the extreme western end of Big La Laguna.
2. La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre(LBC) which is about 100m up the path from Campbell but is up-market with swimming pool. But it has family room and three dive boats.
Who to dive?
LBC or Scandi Divers.
Beach life:
The beach is pretty small but CLEAN and ample area for snorkelling.

Are you happy with "most of the time" instead of every time?
If flexibility is top of your priority list(with 2 young one) then I would suggest LBC over Scandi Divers because of the number of available diving boats.
BTW, there are plenty of good places for food within walking distance in PG and you can't have that in Anilao.

Hi Al,

You know Atmosphere would certainly get my vote.. and they have new family rooms now plus suites with connecting doors or a 2 bedroom penthouse in which you could put an extra bed & cot for the kids!
great diving sites only 5 mins away but excellent house reef too also good for snorkeling - you choose which times you like to go so your schedule is very flexible, Apo island only 25 mins away great for a family day trip - excellent snorkelling
wonderful location lots of other activities,
shallow and deeper pools,
superb food
very comfortable and all suites with a/c
i dived there this july and the weather was a tad rainy but not full on all day rain just an hour or so each day and in the evenings.
kids cove and babysitters if you need extra attention for the kids or someone to watch you 10month old whilst the rest of you go on trip.

sending a pm....
Susie

Hi Al

It would be hard to satisfy all of your criteria, but if you are prepared to compromise on the beach, Moalboal covers everything else. You could get AC rooms for a reasonable rate at Quo Vadis or Marcosas. The dive shops are right there, almost all the dive sites are within 15 minutes, the snorkelling is excellent on the reef and White Beach is only 15 minutes away by trike. Most of the dive shops do single tank boat dives - one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Hope you find a good place.

StirlingDiver

How noisy would you say the beach is at LBC?
Very quiet the whole day through.
This is the only beach around the area where you will see swimmers and sun-worshippers during the day.
If you are staying at LBC(www.llbc.com.ph) and using private boat, you will be dropped off right on their doorsteps. BTW, the WiFi is pretty slow though!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom