Diving with Sharks at La Jolla Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ramsy

Contributor
Reaction score
This past weekend, I had another opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with several seven gill sharks at La Jolla Cove. My prior video of the seven gill sharks focused more on their tail as I stayed behind them as we glided through the water. This time, I swam parallel with them. So, this video focuses more on their other end, their head. Here is a video I put together from that dive:

[video=vimeo;65992683]https://vimeo.com/65992683[/video]

I got the opportunity to dive with these sharks last weekend in La Jolla Cove too, this is a video one of my buddy's took - Diving La Jolla Cove... with sevengill sharks! - YouTube

And a few of my pictures -

283833_10151402146125248_1948198520_n.jpg487617_10151402146160248_270098321_n.jpg942360_10151402146000248_1771719694_n.jpg945852_10151402146195248_613344366_n.jpg

This past weekend, I had another opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with several seven gill sharks at La Jolla Cove. My prior video of the seven gill sharks focused more on their tail as I stayed behind them as we glided through the water. This time, I swam parallel with them. So, this video focuses more on their other end, their head. Here is a video I put together from that dive:

[video=vimeo;65992683]https://vimeo.com/65992683[/video]

Freakin sweet dude!!! I've dove La Jolla cove before but never saw any 7 gill sharks :\. Are they common? Where was your entry point to dive with the sharks?
I've entered where the blue tent is where there are stairs to go down to the beach. Any recommendations please?? :)

Freakin sweet dude!!! I've dove La Jolla cove before but never saw any 7 gill sharks :\. Are they common? Where was your entry point to dive with the sharks?
I've entered where the blue tent is where there are stairs to go down to the beach. Any recommendations please?? :)

This was my first time diving at La Jolla Cove, we entered where you described - https://maps.google.com/?ll=32.850626,-117.273015&spn=0.000546,0.00071&t=h&z=21

Then swam out towards Buoy A (left most yellow buoy looking from the shore towards the ocean), dropped down on the Buoy & swam directly east, we ran into the sharks about 50-100 yards from the buoy. I had read on another post that this was the place where most of the sightings had been.

Good Luck!

Then swam out towards Buoy A (left most yellow buoy looking from the shore towards the ocean), dropped down on the Buoy & swam directly east, we ran into the sharks about 50-100 yards from the buoy. I had read on another post that this was the place where most of the sightings had been.

Yeah, that is the suggestion I gave in my prior post. I am glad you got a chance to see the seven gills too!

Tyler, the seven gills are not common at the Cove. They only appear sporadically and no one knows why. For example, last year know one saw a seven gill at La Jolla Cove at all. I have heard people say that as the water temp rises, the seven gills will move away as they prefer cold water. So, I would suggest diving the Cove again soon if you have a chance.

Since I was using a scooter, my entry point for my dive was actually the Marine Room. However, for a kick dive, you would enter at the place you described, the stairs by the lifeguard tower.

I have been seeing the seven gills pretty regularly about 40 yards east of Buoy A, the tall yellow buoy that is a quarter mile from the Cove, in 30 or so feet of water. So, I would suggest surface swimming toward Buoy A but a little right of it (i.e. towards the Marine Room Restaurant), then when you are in line with Buoy A, drop and make your way toward Buoy A.

Alternatively, you can do what Socal_Celt did and surface swim to Buoy A, drop and make your way east. Since it worked for him, that may be the better method. But, I have seen seven gills in other areas of the Cove. So, there is no "right" spot.

Either way, when you are down there, keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel, the seven gills move very gracefully through the water and have a habit of sneaking up on you.

Last edited:
That's not true. The 7s were seen fairly often last year.

Bill

Tyler, the seven gills are not common at the Cove. They only appear sporadically and no one knows why. For example, last year know one saw a seven gill at La Jolla Cove at all. I have heard people say that as the water temp rises, the seven gills will move away as they prefer cold water. So, I would suggest diving the Cove again soon if you have a chance.

Don't believe everything you read.

Members of my 1,700-person group, as well as myself, saw them multiple times last year. And not just at the Cove.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom