Diving with sea lions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know what they say about where a Bull SeaLion hangs out?

Any place he wants to.

I used to unfoul boat props in Bodega Bay on crab boats. Once I got a call to go to the Tides Wharf and unfoul a prop. I had to get in the water close to a group of big male hoodlum sea lions who were loitering around the wharf looking for boats to mug.
They didn’t give me any trouble but I avoided looking at them or making eye contact. They were about 6 feet away from me the whole time. I felt like I got dumped off in the worst part of Oakland at night.

I came across this and thought it looks like a lot of fun.
Unique scuba experience immerses divers with hundreds of migrating sea lions
If you’ve never dived with sea lions I can tell you it’s some of the best fun you can have diving. Just be careful, they are wild animals, give them some space and let them come to you. Plan a trip to see and play with sea lions! It’s a very special experience.

Looks like a nice place to dive. First time I saw a sea lion was in British Columbia! Great diving, too, though cold enough to shrink critical organs.
But the best place to dive with sea lions in my experience is La Jolla Cove in San Diego. And it’s a shore dive. Sea lions come to you, and are super playful and curious ...

5AF87FFE-38C1-4312-AF18-9238B10547F1.jpeg

71EE419D-0356-4B9D-9838-8D923572B184.jpeg

My only encounter with them was in Cabo around the arch so they’re pretty used to people I had one swim right up to me and start to want to play all I though was great I’m going to be “that” tourist on the news when he opened his mouth 4 feet away from my face and proceeded to blow bubbles in my face. I know it could be a territorial display but I’m 100% sure he was just trolling me.
1F4D432D-5F0F-4626-A40F-179CA1D9BFA2.jpeg

I did some dives with sea lions last year in the Sea of Cortez.

They were mostly super cute.

50F73C8B-BA70-4929-BA9B-7E4A98AA28AE.jpeg

But, I thought this bull that swam right at me several times, blowing bubbles at me, was really cool, at the time. It only occurred to me after I was back on the boat that he was giving me several warnings. :eek:

219DB216-1AC9-46E6-B694-B51FAA2B695B.jpeg

I came across this and thought it looks like a lot of fun.
Unique scuba experience immerses divers with hundreds of migrating sea lions
If you’ve never dived with sea lions I can tell you it’s some of the best fun you can have diving. Just be careful, they are wild animals, give them some space and let them come to you. Plan a trip to see and play with sea lions! It’s a very special experience.

This looks like so much fun! Larger males can be super aggressive though, so it would be an awfully tie-toe-ey experience not to piss them off. I don't trust them, lol :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom