Diving with my kids for 2 weeks in Thailand - need some tips !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone ! I'm looking at diving with my kids (16/13 & 10 years old) for the next 2 weeks in Thailand. I'm looking at Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Koh Lipe (or anywhere else recommended). Can you please advise where we should start/go, understanding we want to start with open water course and then dive more after - trying to give my kids the best diving experience ever - thank you in advance for your tips !

Although Koh Samui is a good tourist destination, most dive sites are near Koh Tao. Therefore, is worth staying on Koh Tao. There are hundreds of dive opt, my suggestion is Master Divers.

The journey to Koh Lipe is a bit more challenging, but the island is quieter, and smaller. There as plenty of dive operators to pick from. My suggestion is DJL or Koh Lipe Diving. A bit more expensive than Koh Tao, but more of an adventure.

You main challenge is how you want to get to either island. Are you flying into Bangkok?

Based on one trip to Koh Samui, the dive ops on Koh Samui put you in a boat and go to Koh Tao. The diving at Koh Tao was OK, but there were a huge number of people in the water., it was like peak hour traffic.

We did another trip saying on Koh Yao Noi, where the local dive op picked us up from the resort. I think we were the only divers at each site.

Thailand's Andaman Sea side is off-season now, so Lipe is probably not the best destination. Koh Tao can get crowded underwater, so look for a shop that will go to less-busy sites, like the ones on the eastern side of the island.

There is only one place at this time of the yr: Koh Tao.
Choose the operator carefully for OW course in Koh Tao because of the infamous dive factory.
Master Divers is one of the few exception.

If you're thinking about doing Lipe in the monsoon season, now thru September, you may want to check out some YT videos of the boat trips during this time! Also, more than half the dive sites will be closed due to the annual marine park closure and many restaurants close up for the season as well.

Hello everyone ! I'm looking at diving with my kids (16/13 & 10 years old) for the next 2 weeks in Thailand. I'm looking at Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Koh Lipe (or anywhere else recommended). Can you please advise where we should start/go, understanding we want to start with open water course and then dive more after - trying to give my kids the best diving experience ever - thank you in advance for your tips !
You are limited in options in June. I wouldn't consider anywhere on the west coast e.g. Ko Lipe, Ko Phi Phi or Phuket as weather is too unpredictable and a very high chance of wind and rain. Ko Tao is probably the best diving available but also consider Ko phangan if you want something more laidback. It might be nicer for young kids then the super busy ko Tao. If you wanted something else you could try the perhentians in Malaysia. Not hard to get to from Thailand and nice easy diving.

If you wanted something else you could try the perhentians in Malaysia. Not hard to get to from Thailand and nice easy diving.
I am not sure if there is any direct flight from Bangkok to Kota Bharu.
It is not that difficult to get there from Southern Thailand via Sungai Kolok eg. Yala.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom