Trip Report Diving with David in Palm Beach 10/11/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had the pleasure to dive with @DavidFL once again this past Monday. We dived together on Pura Vida's Aurelia in Palm Beach. Seas were calm (1' maybe), warm (84-85F) with manageable viz (30-50'). We had two enjoyable, relaxing dives together. Here are a few photos. I'll add a couple of turtle videos on a second post.

We did Juno Ledge first dive and Corridor Wreck Trek all the way to Brazilian Docks second dive.

Juno Ledge was surgy due to a ground swell. You’ll notice it in the hawksbill video below. Corridor had a mild north current.

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

Here are a couple of videos
I like how that surge is making the turtle act like a crab going sideways. Viz looks hazy, but heard today it's crystal clear out there but a tad bumpy. I'll be back on the water next weekend along with the big PBCDA party on the 23rd.

I had the pleasure to dive with @DavidFL once again this past Monday. We dived together on Pura Vida's Aurelia in Palm Beach. Seas were calm (1' maybe), warm (84-85F) with manageable viz (30-50'). We had two enjoyable, relaxing dives together. Here are a few photos. I'll add a couple of turtle videos on a second post.

We did Juno Ledge first dive and Corridor Wreck Trek all the way to Brazilian Docks second dive.

Juno Ledge was surgy due to a ground swell. You’ll notice it in the hawksbill video below. Corridor had a mild north current.

View attachment 686627
View attachment 686631View attachment 686634
View attachment 686628
View attachment 686629
View attachment 686630
View attachment 686632
View attachment 686633
Super nice photos

@Divin'Papaw - keep up the great work. Appreciate your positive presence here on SB.

I'm confused. One video says Lagerhead & the other says Hawksbill. They look the same to me. How do you tell them apart?

I'm confused. One video says Lagerhead & the other says Hawksbill. They look the same to me. How do you tell them apart?

The three primary turtles we see on our reefs in SE FL ... loggerhead, green and hawksbill ... all look similar for sure. Occasionally you may see a leatherback or kemp's ridley but those are super rare to see on the reefs and wrecks in SEFL. It took me awhile to learn the difference. I volunteered for Gumbo Limbo Nature Center for a couple of years as a sea turtle rehab educator. We had to learn the difference and that really helped. You look at things like the carapace construction (hawksbill shells are like tiles on a roof which is different than green and loggerhead shells), shape of the carapace as a whole, scute patterns of the carapace, facial scale pattern, beak shape, head shape and the eyes. All of those taken together allow you to tell if it's a loggerhead, green, or hawksbill. Over time you learn to tell the difference pretty quickly but it takes alot of practice.

This book is incredibly helpful to learn the difference and is also a fascinating read to learn all about the various species of sea turtles in the tropical western atlantic.

Also attaching a useful turtle ID chart as a PDF.

Attachments

• turtle-id-placard.pdf
    234.6 KB · Views: 162
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom