Diving with Cobalt Coast versus East end

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onvacation24-7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are thinking about diving in Grand Cayman this fall. Actually going to Little Cayman this July. I realize many people like diving the east with Ocean Frontiers at Compass Point. However, Cobalt Coast has a great deal. My question is, how will the diving compare on one side versus the other. Is the diving near Cobalt good? Are the reefs in good shape? Are the reefs in the east that much better? Thanks.

My husband and I are thinking about diving in Grand Cayman this fall. Actually going to Little Cayman this July. I realize many people like diving the east with Ocean Frontiers at Compass Point. However, Cobalt Coast has a great deal. My question is, how will the diving compare on one side versus the other. Is the diving near Cobalt good? Are the reefs in good shape? Are the reefs in the east that much better? Thanks.

I think that there is good diving on West, East, North, and South sides of GC - and a lot depends on the weather.

Cobalt Coast tends to dive the West Side and the North Wall, but it can be windy and rough on the North Side in the Fall - so the shore diving on the house reef may not be available when you are there. And if it is rough while you are there they will not depart from the dock at the resort - they will load you up in a van and take you to another dock, possibly in West Bay, but it's not far and a lot of dive ops may be departing from West Bay during the fall and winter.

The West side is usually calm and there's generally a lot of great fish life and nice reefs but the North Wall is much more dramatic and has beautiful coral structures.

The East End has some great diving and beautiful walls but it can get pretty rough also, if that happens the dive ops will go in either direction around the corners of the island to find good diving.

Both Cobalt Coast and Compass Point are in remote, less-developed parts of the island but the East End is a longer drive, about 45 minutes to and hour from the airport, and you will need to rent a car and be willing to drive on the left. During rush hours the traffic can be bad as you head away from the airport, but after you get passed Savannah the traffic turns light and it is easy driving for the rest of the trip to the East End. If you stay on the East End you will not be far from Rum Point on the North Side, which has a lovely beach and there is good snorkeling in that area and very little traffic.

If you stay at Cobalt Coast you don't have to rent a car because it is all-inclusive and airport transfers are included - but it is closer to Seven Mile Beach and George Town, so if you want to do some exploring you might want to rent a car for a few days. There's a lot of great places to eat on GC but if you are staying at CC you won't have much opportunity to sample various restaurants and eateries but it will be easy, a sleep, eat, and dive experience.

Compass Point has some onsite restaurant options and I believe that they offer meal packages - several people have mentioned that they have taken the breakfast package. They do offer condo accommodations with kitchens so you can pick up some groceries and prepare some simple meals. There are some places to eat on the East End but not many.

We have visited both of these resorts and dived with the ops, more recently with Reef Divers at Cobalt Coast, and they were both very good and both offer valet diving service. Neither of the resorts are on the Seven Mile Beach but they both have small beach areas.

One thing that I didn't care for about Cobalt Coast is that they do not have an indoor dining room at this time, but they gave us a tour and they have done some nice upgrades to the property recently. There's a renovated pool and deck area and a new hot tub and new shore diving and gear storage areas. I know that they have been renovating the rooms and they have upgraded the AC system throughout the resort.

So my experiences with both resorts and the onsite dive ops are limited, but I am sure that other ScubaBoard members that have stayed at the resorts and done more diving with them can give you more information.

Personally, I think that they are both good options and there are things that you might like more or less about each resort and that each op will do their very best to provide great diving opportunities!

One more thing, heavy, nasty, smelly influxes of Sargassum seaweed have periodically been hitting various areas all over the Caribbean in recent years, but it varies with the winds and currents and you're never really sure when it will show up or how bad it will be.

Cayman has been luckier than many other locations in the Caribbean, but the East End has been the area of Cayman that has been hit hardest when they have had Sargassum wash up onshore in the past. The winds usually protect the West Side and Seven Mile Beach from the Sargassum problem.

I haven't heard that Sargassum has prevented anyone from diving out on the reefs, it is the beach and shore activities that seem to be most affected.

Again, there's no way of knowing if it will be a factor when you are on the island, but I just wanted to make you aware that it is a possibility.

Hope that you have great trips!

EE has been getting more weed than usual. It has been interfering with day to day activities at some times. We have actually had guests drive over because they couldn’t get out. As of Thursday over drinks a friend who runs an EE op was saying they were expecting a surge over the weekend and they were keeping their fingers crossed. It is very possible that diving east could be impacted but impossible to predict.

Hi @Onvacation24-7

I have stayed at Cobalt Coast twice, prior to the change in ownership, while Divetech was still the scuba operator. I have also stayed at Compass Point twice and dived with Ocean Frontiers. Either of these resorts/operators could make for a fantastic visit for diving off Grand Cayman. I will limit my comments mainly to the diving rather than accommodations, meals, etc., addressed by others.

Though I have not used Reef Divers at Cobalt Coast, I have used them on Little Cayman and on Cayman Brac. I would have no reservations in using them at Cobalt Coast. They offer AM 2 tank and PM 1 tank dives. With the 17 dive package you can go to the Kittiwake or Stingray City at no additional charge. After 10 previous trips to Grand Cayman, I dived the Kittiwake and SRC while on the Cayman Aggressor V last fall. I'm not sorry I had the opportunity to do both of these dives, but once is enough for me. The Kittiwake is next to a good wall dive, Sand Chute, which I did rather than a second dive on the Kittiwake. The west side has many very good dive sites and is used when conditions are too rough to get out in the north. The north wall has some really spectacular sites. The unlimited shore diving at Cobalt Coast is very valuable if conditions allow for shore diving. In addition, at extra cost, you can go down the road and shore dive at Lighthouse Point and Turtle Reef. Turtle Reef is may favorite shore diving site on Grand Cayman. Any of these three sites make for good night dives.

Compass Point offers very comfortable condos with full kitchens. Ocean Frontiers is the best land-based operator I have used to date. They offer AM 2 tanks dives as part of the package. PM 2 tank dives, night dives, and other specialty dives are available at extra cost. The 3 tank safari and the X-dive 1 tank drift are particularly nice. Due to their location on the east end, OF is able to dive the north side or the south side depending on conditions. We did predominantly north side on one visit and predominantly south side on the other. Both sides have outstanding sites. The southeast corner has several sites where shark sightings are relatively common.

So....as far as I'm concerned, you really can't go wrong. If someone had already visited one of them, I would recommend visiting the other, for the contrast.

I agree with scubadada. Hard to go wrong here. For me, a large price differential would determine which end of the island I stayed. Have been at both and like both. If you want to get in a significant amount of shore and night diving in addition to the boat dives, I would lean towards Cobalt. The house reef is a fair swim but in pristine shape. If it is blown out, it's not far to Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Point. I am not aware of any easy shore dives near Compass.

Both places are isolated but Cobalt is a little closer to civilization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom