Diving with big fish in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesje

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know, where can I find best diving places in Caribbean with best chance to see manta rays and sharks.

mesje:
I would like to know, where can I find best diving places in Caribbean with best chance to see manta rays and sharks.

Probably for sure?? maybe? I would say, the Bahamas has some great shark dives, I've done that. Overall, Turks and Caicos provides some looks at sharks and eagle rays, big southern stingrays and by chance dolphins. Hawaii (the Big Island) has the Mantas (night dives). There are more sharkfilled dives in the Pacific.
File0391.jpg

Nice pic.

Do nurse sharks count? We were in Belize--Caye Caulker--and had nurse sharks and rays come right up to us. Of course, the DM was feeding them--not sure how you feel about that. Not exactly the most authentic of experiences.

Bahamas: semi- Tame feeding experiences through Stuart Cove's in Nassau. Sharks are practically guaranteed. You can also dive the Tears of Allah(James Bond wreck) during non-shark feed times and they're likely to be hanging around waiting. Stella Maris on Long Island also does a shark feed dive. As does Unexso on Grand Bahama - and you can also dive with dolphins there.

We did the Nekton Cay Sal trip last summer. Saw dozens of sharks at multiple locations. Both my avatar and profile pic are from a site called Big Hole. The profile pic shot is one of about 15 that came that close for about 20mins. They also do a feed there once a week. Quite a few stingrays also.

I heard there's a lot of Lemon Sharks at sites off Bimini. I saw a show about testing shark repellent there.
For the big boys there's the Shearwater trips out to Tiger Beach. Shallow water diving with a dozen or so Tigers. Shots from Tiger Beach. It's on my short list.

For Mantas try the Tobago Taxi. They call it that because they're reliably seen there Nov-June. And they also have sharks in the area, Tigers, Bulls and reef sharks. If you go in June and get really lucky you might see Whale sharks. I think Tobago is one of those up&coming dive destinations also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom