Diving with a Pacemaker.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timakempton

Contributor
Reaction score
About to get a pacemaker, I have been told by may cardiologist that all will be good for my return to the water once the settling in period is done. (So excited no more AF)

I am interested in hearing the experiences of other divers with pacemakers, have you had any issues or bad experiences?

I have no experience with pacemakers, never seen one in my life. But I know a little about electronics under pressure.
If the pacemaker contains closed spaces of air, it may be affected by pressure. These spaces of air can be found in the pacemaker construction or even in some components construction (such as some crystal oscillators, relays, shielded coils, etc). If this would be my problem, I would check with the manufacturer of the device if it is (at least to some degree) pressure resistant.

le: some links
Pacemakers and Scuba Diving ? Medical Dive Article ? DAN | Divers Alert Network
Pacemaker Club: Support & Information For Pacemaker & Defibrillator Patients

I don't have a pace maker but I have a medical implant that is in a pace maker frame. yes there is an air space in the pace maker. this is where the electronics are housed in the pace maker. mime is a research device but it was still pressure tested to 4-5 atm. mine is not life supporting and on that note was told yes it is pressure texted but the repeated re pressurization could cause stress fractures and could result in failure. so here is where I am. I have 2 of these implants, and around 100 dives since implant and no failures. the deepest I have gone with them is 109ft and most dives in the 60-90 foot range.

Back
Top Bottom