Diving with a new tattoo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just set up an appointment to get some more ink stabbed into me on monday. It's not my first, but I wasn't actively diving when I've gotten tattooed before.

Any pointers or tricks from those that have been diving with "fresh ink"? I'm planning to just give it a fresh slather of bacitracin and a layer of saran wrap before squeezing into my 7 mil wetsuit, but I'm a little bit concerned about it, and not sure if that concern is warranted.

I'd give it a week or so before splashing it just to let the inks set in well if possible. If not, your method should work well enough.

Tom

but I'm getting the tattoo on monday night, and diving (group trip to cape ann #2) on saturday. I guess it'll have to do.

Oh... wait! I have a bottle of this antiseptic shellac-like stuff called liquid skin, or something like that. It's waterproof, and lasts for a day or so. Maybe I'll try that.

The drysuit's a good idea too, but I don't have time to learn to use one before then. Besides, with what I paid for a custom wetsuit, I'm planning to wear it until I can't.

That should be enough time. I wouldn't put that liquid skin goop on if it was me........

Tom

Originally posted by MSilvia
Any pointers or tricks from those that have been diving with "fresh ink"? I'm planning to just give it a fresh slather of bacitracin and a layer of saran wrap before squeezing into my 7 mil wetsuit, but I'm a little bit concerned about it, and not sure if that concern is warranted.

I asked when I got mine [well, when I was in the planning stages]. He said specifically to not even get it wet for the first couple of weeks, except for my initial washing when removing the bandage.

Since your keeping it as an open wound [remember... don't let it scab!], you want the ink that's down in the holes to not get flushed out before it heals over it.

I would probably go with vaseline on top of the bacitracin, then saran wrap, then possibly even a bandage taped over that, just to make sure the saran wrap doesn't get pulled up when your fighting with your wetsuit.

[Yea, there's a reason my next one won't be until winter :)]

but for a full armband, I think I'll feel better about the traditional treatment. Slather and wrap it is! The bacitracin is petroleum based anyhow, so I think the vaseline might dilute it more than it would add anything useful.

It seems like it'll be enough to keep it fairly waterproof for the duration of a dive, and if necessary I'll reapply for the next.

Good idea about the overwrap Spectre... I'll have to get some athletic tape to go over the plastic.

MSilva, if you haven't used that liquid skin before, try it on a healthy spot of skin and then get it wet. I didn't have much luck with it. But I was sweating not swimming.
Also, not that it will make or break it, But that stuff stings like the dickens until it dries. How it compares to that of the Tat' gun I don't know.

hope it helps.

Crispy

Originally posted by MSilvia
The bacitracin is petroleum based anyhow, so I think the vaseline might dilute it more than it would add anything useful.

Ahh.. good point. The bacitracin is definately a good idea... I just remembered that the other concern my artist had about actually diving was due to the possibility of infection with letting seawater in there...

I was told when I had one done on my back not to get it wet for 2 weeks - but I went swimming a week later with no ill effects. This was a simple line tattoo though, with no shading - and it healed very fast. Personally, I'd blow diving off until it totally heals if you're getting shading - you don't want it to scar or mess it up for life, for the sake of a day's diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom