Diving while stationed in Incirlik Turkey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My cousin will be doing a 1 year tour in Turkey. He's really interested in diving while there. He'll be arriving this winter.

Some questions, hoping someone has experience as a service member or works in the area:
  • Are any SB members active divers in the area?
  • Have any SB members previously been stationed there and were active divers?
    • If so, how did you find others to dive with?
    • Are there any active clubs?
  • Are there programs to expand certification on base?
  • When is the best time of year to visit the area? I'm in Florida, so I prefer warm water :)
  • Are service members able to leave base to go diving or does it have to be a sponsored trip with base services?
  • From Adana, is it best to go to west to Mersin or directly south to Karatas, or somewhere else?
  • At some point next Spring or Summer, I'll probably fly out in the area to visit for a week or 2 of diving, do you recommend diving in this area or meeting up somewhere else in the area?
    • If elsewhere, where?

Agreed, direct flights to Sharm are easy from that area. Tons of options there.

Lance

Cool, that gives us a vacation idea. Any ideas what diving will be like for him from Incirlik?

I've looked at several pages from the air base and the services squadron. Unfortunately, everything seems dated, even the FB page. It probably has to do with the constant turnover of a short tour assignment. I did tell my cousin, if there isn't a group of divers, he might have to be proactive. I suggested he reach out to someone in the services squadron for help organizing trips, training, and access to gear. I believe there's Navy personnel there too.

Back
Top Bottom