Diving while Breast feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanyadeweymarn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am breast feeding my 3 month old at the moment and considering going on holiday in 2 weeks time to dive.
I am not being silly...I just want to know if the pressure changes will effect my breasts??? Will I end up leaking milk everywhere?
Please help... genuine question.
Thanks

i didn't, but i wasn't a 'leaker' anyway. i pumped on my regular schedule to keep comfy as possible and got revenge on male buddies who would flick pee on me from their p-valves by flicking milk at them.

so i guess it's individualized - do you have problems with leaking in general? maybe you could express a bit beforehand to be a bit emptier if that gave you peace of mind.

I agree with BabyDuck.

There are also nifty little silicone stick-on pads called Lilypadz that will stop leaks, even when swimming/wet. They're a bit expensive, but one set lasts for a month or two, so they're worth it. I used to wear them every day, but not at night. They work better than the cloth or paper pads. (And you can just wash them with dish detergent or hand soap with no lotion in it instead of the expensive stuff they sell to wash them.)

Don't try breast feeding while diving. :no:

Your baby will most likely drown. :shocked2:
I have been wanting to say that all afternoon.

Using old fumble thumbs via Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Jax
I dived while breast feeding (not literally at the same time) and I found the pressure uncomfortable but then I was diving in a drysuit. I didn't notice more leaking than usual.

I dove and nursed both my kids...if you get a big enough drysuit they fit inside. kidding aside, it's no big deal if you can pump if you don't have baby near by.

Thank you so much for your replies. Luckily he will be coming with me (on holiday not on the dives!!!Thanks you ;-)) and he's a greedy little guzzler so I am sure he'll be more than happy to empty me pre dive! Do leak a bit but more when he's not fed for a while.... had images of fish smelling milk and following me! Reassured now. Thanks again
xxx

..snip..
.... had images of fish smelling milk and following me!
..snip...

Don't be silly, fish don't breast feed, only baby seals, whales, dolphins, manatees and walruses are likely to come after you... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom