Diving Warm Water -- suit recommendations? (85deg+ water temps, 2-3 1.5 hr dives per day)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RED93SE

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I will be diving in Saipan in a few weeks, looking for a recommendation on a wetsuit. I would like a long suit, or at least a suit with long legs, as I will be recording archaeological material and want to keep contact with the reef at a minimum! I saw the Billabong FOIL suit, which I think fits my needs perfectly (2-3 1.5hr dives per day) but I was wondering if there were other options for something similar.

Billabong Foil 2mm Back Zip Full Wetsuit - Short-Sleeve - Men's | Steep & Cheap

Thanks in advance!

If you are a "warm" diver, you'll probably be okay. But if you're like me, and get cold more easily, you'll still be fine for the first dive. You'll feel a little chilled by the end of the second, and you'll be uncomfortable for the third dive.

I dove Bonaire, with 84F water, for four to five dives per day x 7 days, in a full 3mm suit. For the afternoon and evening, I was adding a skin under the wetsuit for comfort. If you're like me, 2mm may not be enough. At least bring a rash guard to add one more layer underneath, just in case.

Keep the head conductivity of water in mind. It sucks the heat right out of you, and compared with 98.6F, that's a 14° gradient. You only have to lose 1.5°F to start feeling miserable.

My 2 cents.

That is a surf suit so it is not made for diving. Supposedly surf suits compress more at depth than dive wetsuits. I think rsingler is right that 2 mil is a bit weak for 5 hour a day diving. To be on the safe side I think a 3 mil and a hooded vest might be in order.

Back
Top Bottom