Diving Vancouver Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanMont

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I am looking to spend 7-10 days on vancouver Island after a work trip to the San Juan islands in July/August. I was wondering if anybody could recommend dive shops on the island for a couple of days diving? I probably won't be bringing any kit (apart from possibly snorkeling gear) so would need somewhere that would rent. I am also going to be travelling solo so would be needing a dive buddy!

Thanks for any help :)

What part of the island?

Rockfish has a boat and a shop in the Victoria area

Nanaimo Dive Outfitters do as well "mid island" by Nanaimo

UB Diving and Pacific Pro in Courtney/Campbell River

There are also some dive resorts you can check out as well (gear rentals may not be available, but dive shops like NDO are along the way.

Rendezvous Dive Adventures on the west coast of the island
Hornby Island Divers between Nanaimo/Courtney

_R

Frank Whites rents full gear including drysuits and have DM led free dives on Saturdays. Feel free to pm me and I might be able to take you to some local spots.

Just did a boat dive with Rockfish - they were great!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to be in the San Juan Islands for 5 weeks on a training course (unfortunately probably not going to have time to do much diving). From there I am planning on heading up to Vancouver Island, as I will be flying back to the UK from Seattle and also won't be able to afford to rent a car I will probably be limited to the south/middle of the Island. What are the diving conditions like around the island? Is diving better on the East coast in the Salish Sea or on the West Coast?

I have been looking at Rendezvous as they have a space during the week I would be on the island. How do the dive shops compare to the 'resorts'?

Hey Dan, generally the farther you head up island the vis tends to get better.......but there are great sites all over. The shops can give you gear and info but the "resorts" will give you full service depending on your needs. Here in Victoria we have about a dozen sites that are a short drive away and offer a lot. There is rockfish divers that offer charters to reefs and wrecks. Frank Whites which offers all gear and free pro led shore dives on Saturdays. Getting around Victoria is pretty easy with lots of options. Again, if I'm around I can take you on a couple of dives.

The vis at Rendezvous is likely to be significantly better than the South Island at this time of year. There is a thread on the board that has a pretty much weekly report on the local vis. Victoria Vis I believe is the title. Rendezvous vis will be better. If they have space I would recommend you take advantage rather than diving with the local dive shops. No slam on the local shops, but both the diving and the vis would be better. I suspect you will need to rent gear from a shop as I don't think Rendezvous rents full gear.

Thanks for the advice everyone - probably going to book in with rendezvous. Really looking forward to sampling cold water diving other than in the UK for the first time! Roll on August :)

Back
Top Bottom