Diving Trip Report in Musandam, Oman, on May 18-19, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Due to limited number of pictures that I can upload in a post, I split this trip report into 2 parts.

Part 1

Background

Let me start with a bit of a background on how I get to dive in Munsandam, Oman. I had couple weeks of business trip in Dammam, Saudi Arabia in early May. Since Dammam is near Dubai (about 85-minute flight), I thought it would be fun to do some divings in UAE or Oman while in the neighborhood during the 2 weekends. I contacted @Diving Dubai about this and was thrilled to know that he had made plan for his dive club to go on a 2-day dive trip in Musandam with Dhow (Arabic style liveaboard) on the May 18 weekend. What a perfect fit to my schedule as my business trip would end on May 16. So I could spend a weekend on this diving trip before flying back home to Houston. He let me have one of the cabin spot in the Dhow.

Dubai.JPG

Since this is my first time to go to Oman, I was so glad that @Diving Dubai also graciously offered to pick me up at the airport. So, I immediately accepted his offer. On May 17, I flew to Dubai on early afternoon. We loaded our dive gears to his truck & drove to Dibba for about 90 minutes.

Musandam.JPG

We stopped at Lu Lu Supermarket to get some snacks for the trip & some decongestant medicines (Clarinase & nose spray) to clear up my sinus congestion from allergic reaction to a dust / sand storm that passed the area a week before the trip.

On the way to the Oman border, we met a travel agent to pick up our paperwork (dive & border / Custom permits) that we have submitted to them for approval 2 days prior to the trip. At the border the Custom / Immigration officer check our paperwork, made a quick inspection of our diving gears & let us go through without any problem.

A few minutes later, we arrived at Dibba Al-Baya Port, where our liveaboard docks, met the crew, unloaded our diving gears, boarded the boat & waited for the rest of the divers to come on board. Once everyone on board, we cruised to Musandam that evening.

IMG_7451.JPG

Dhow

We went on one of Sheesa Beach Dhow overnight Cruises. Most of Dhow information can be found here: http://www.sheesabeach.com/discover/our-fleet

I think we were on Al Yas Dhow, an 85’ triple deck Dhow made for overnight liveaboard cruises, as shown below (courtesy of Sheesa Beach).

IMG_7648.jpg

Here are some notes about of the Dhow in addition to info provided in the website. The cabin AC works like a charm, nice & cool. I was glad to bring earplugs to dampen the engine noise. There are plenty of space around the boat to hang out. We have lunch & dinner together at the top open deck under a canvas shade. Other than that, it’s a good liveaboard for the weekend trip.

IMG_7454.JPG

Diving

On May 18 morning we arrived in Ras Musandam & planned to continue cruising to Quoin Island. However, the currents were pretty strong & turning the Dhow side way. We decided to turn around & dove in Ras Musandam area.

IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_7462.JPG

Weather wise, it was a nice clear day at 91F air temperature. Since the water temperature around this time of the year would be still be around mid to high 70’s F, I decided to bring 5mm full wetsuit. I was comfortable with it, especially at depth.

Diving details are reported in part 2 in the following post.

Last edited:
Part 2: Diving details

Dive 1: Deep Purple
Water Temperature: 77-81F
Visibility: 30’
Current: Slow
Depth: 53’ (due to slight sinus congestion)

As you can see why the site is called Deep Purple. Some of the divers saw Zebra shark at the sandy bottom. Unfortunately, I could not equalize deeper than 53’ due to sinus congestion eventhough I had Clarinase an hour prior to the diving.

M1829941.JPG

M1829934.JPG

Dive 2: Ras Kaisha
Current: None
Depth: 63’ (due to slight sinus congestion)

The side has very interesting geological rock formation.

M1829945.JPG

Still having problem with equalizing at depth. Just had to follow @Diving Dubai from above.

M1829946.JPG

Dive 3: White Rock
Water Temperature: ?
Visibility: ?
Current: ?
Depth: ?

This dive site requires divers to go down to 100’ to the bottom to avoid being blown away current. Since I was still having equalization problem, I was advised to skip it. I was told later that I didn’t miss much due to the poor visibility greenish water.

Dive 4: White Rock
Water Temperature: 79-81F
Depth: 92’

The group decided to repeat this dive site on the next morning on May 19, hoping the visibility improved. I took 2 Clarinase an hour before the dive. It helped open up my sinuses. I was able to get down to the bottom. Unfortunately the visibility was still the same as the day before. Saw schooling of barracudas at safety stop. Went back down to 30’ depth to video them.

M1829975.JPG

Dive 5: Mother of Mouse
Depth: 113’

This was the last dive before heading back to the dock.

M1830014.JPG

M1830017.JPG

M1830028.JPG

Back at the port, I saw why there were only few schooling barracudas. Apparently the local like to eat the fish. I saw 2 full boat loads of them.

IMG_7492.JPG

Despite of not being able to get down to the bottom on the first day of diving and limited visibility, I still enjoyed the diving trip & hanging out with the new friends. I’m looking forward to diving there again in my next visit to Dubai.

Thanks for your hospitality @Diving Dubai

Last edited:
@Dan_T

Glad you enjoyed it, just sorry we didn’t get the best diving it can be, but as you saw when the current turns a 50ton Dhow, you need to pick sites carefully. My wife is leading trip this weekend, unfortunately I’m in the UK on business so will miss it, which is a shame because the tides are just about perfect for some sporty current diving.

Reactions: Dan
That gives me a good reason to come back :)

BTW, @Diving Dubai have you been to Daymaniat Islands, near Muscat? I saw this recent YouTube on Zebra Shark of Oman made by Jonathan Bird’s Blue World. It looks like a pretty interesting site to dive, but may be not in July.

Last edited:
Yup the Daymaniates (more than one island) are nice. Summer is good vis, and often get whale sharks there too. It’s day boat diving so not too bad, as for Summer temps here, you grin and bear it.....

And you’re welcome anytime. You were no trouble :wink: and you survived our diving style which might put some people off. Please do come again

Great write up @Dan_T glad you enjoyed the trip to our neck of the sand pit, and I'm sure @Diving Dubai 's hospitality was first class.

The Damniyat's are excellent and come summer time to October a whale shark siting is quite possible.

+1 for the Daymaniyat Islands. Although we had to snorkel instead of dive because of timing to be back for our cruise ship's departure, the coral, wildlife, and mini-beaches for SIs at the Daymaniyats were excellent. Although too early for a likely sighting of whale sharks, we did manage to see a flight of five large manta rays pass directly under us about 30 feet below. And yes I know, technically it is a fever of rays, but as a retired pilot, they looked like a flight of fighter aircraft, and I am sticking with that name. That was the only time I really regretted not being on a dive in those islands.

Last edited:
One of the guides in Raja Ampat despises crown of thorns, as the critters like to munch on corals. He collected and burnt them on stake. Anyone wants crown of thorn shish kebab?

lM0032477.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom