Diving The Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I look at videos of the Red Sea and realize I need to get there some day.

With the dive operations working out of Egypt and Saudi Arabia, are there things women need to consider when planning a dive trip there?

First thing anyone needs to consider is the current security situation. There have been posts by other SBers who have been there in the past who would not travel there now.

Hi Katie'

Firstly, discount Saudi.

Egypt: Generally operators from Hurghada or El gouna or further south Marsa Al Salam. The North in the Sinai is still out of bounds as a travel destination and most of the dive shops have closed. El Gouna is mainly resort day boat diving, but is 30 miles north of Hurghada so you can avoid their boats depending on which site. For the best experience, of course it's Liveaboards. I personally prefer the Blue O Two fleet

Traveling to the Middle East. Not really different from else where. Dress respectively. So cover your shoulders (* A tee shirt is fine) don't have a plunging neckline have a skirt with a modest hem line all when out in public. In hotels or on dive boats, normal holiday attire

It's a lovely country, and the people like all Arabs are truly welcoming

I have a differing perspective on Middle East security from most on SB, because I live, work and travel in the region. It's much different from the perspective you see on the news. I'd feel safer in Egypt than the streets of London or NYC. I'd use the same precautions as if I were going anywhere. The Egyptians are protective of tourists. I went there on vacation 18 months ago and travelled to Cairo then to Hurghada. Not a problem, I even got beer at the airport.

Corruption is rife, often outgoing tourists are "taxed" for the slightest excess weight. I have only seen this on the International departures at Hurghada airport not the domestic terminal (if you are connection to Cairo)

Egypt is off my travel destination list at the moment, only because from Dubai its a 15 hour trip - its almost quicker to fly to the UK and then back to Egypt - cheaper too!) So for that travel time Indonesia is for me a no brainier (and much nicer IMO)

I would highly recommend a southern live aboard...I have done a coupe solo and several with my husband. Blue o 2 run trips from Hurgada and seeing oceanic whitetips, hammerheads and mantas is very common in the summer months in particular. Daedalus and the Brothers are wonderful reefs. If you have two weeks you could do back to back trips.

Another one for the bucket list, is Sudan.

Sudan is south of Eqypt and on the Red sea, because of it's history it has been off limits to diver, but now it's opening up.

There are very few boats catering to this destination, and by all accounts, its what the Red Sea used to be like before mass tourism. From all accounts it's amazing

The Far South trip is certainly on my Wish list although the availability comes and goes. Unfortunately for the OP they recommend at least 200 dives, because of the remote location and conditions. But something to work towards

My son and I did a couple of back to back weeks on the Agressor last summer. Loved it. For us the then 50% discounted price and being already in Europe made it possible financially. The diving was just wonderful.
Ditto with the boat, the people, food etc. All very good, comfortable, etc. But it was the diving we came for. Of course this is coming from someone who definitely did not know better at the time, doubling our "dive log count" in the course of the trip. But very experienced passengers liked it just as much.
Heard from people on the airport that they also loved their Blue o 2 trips.

We also saw some dive boats, that based on appearance (upkeep) alone, I would not have wanted to trust my life to, so some research seems advisable to me.

Just for comparisons sake (or potential future trips) it would be nice to learn about divers experience with what they experienced as a good, safe operator that runs more of a budget operation (I can put up with simpler food, less service etc., no made bed etc, but don't care to compromise on safety on a boat).

Getting there and safety on land: can't say much as we "blew" the entire two weeks we had on diving in part because we really wanted to, in part because it was summer (hot) and in part because of safety / security worries .. except that during the short time we were on land, all was good.

It got a little strange with all my s (separately in baggies in carty-on) li-ion batteries on the way out on the airport in Hurghada, considering they see dive related equipment all the time. But I got to keep them all in the end. We were on the airport in Istanbul twice during the greater trip. Missed a terrorist attack by one week and the coup by another week, while in Egypt all was good. I don't think it means that much so. We missed "stuff" in London, Paris, Nice, Munich, Orlando... too, just by different time frames. And so far we happened to be on the planes that made it... I do think about route selection and safety security etc. before choosing. In this case I avoided Cairo because of stuff I read and was fine with Istanbul. Well, Cairo was fine... Those pyramids etc. Will have to be discovered (by us) another time. Just saying that trying to be careful is a good thing and a lot better than asking for trouble, but that at the same time, that most of what goes on goes on when and where it does, totally irrespectfull of one's carefullness.

First thing anyone needs to consider is the current security situation. There have been posts by other SBers who have been there in the past who would not travel there now.
Don't put total trust to anything you see on TV. A friend was in Hurghada in January, went to see pyramids and stuff, never felt threatened. Are there visible security measures? Yes, but so are in USA.

Katie,

I see that you are in Ottawa. Before you make any firm plans, I would check out this website for any and all countries that you will be staying in or passing through. After that, get travel insurance in case the situation changes (it is too late to buy insurance after the situation changes) and then just use your best judgement while being respectful of the local customs.

Oh and don't forget to have fun!

I've been on liveaboards from Hurghada in 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2 weeks ago. I would not be worried about flying into a Red Sea city and back out again, obviously others feel that way too because flights have long since resumed from Germany, the UK and other countries. Realistically (1) if you do a liveaboard you are hardly "in country" with the general population anyway: you go from airport to boat and straight back again. (2) Tourism is vital to these people and they have pulled out all the stops for security. Arguely this might be the safest time in ages to travel there. (3) Tourism is picking up quite a bit. If you want to benefit from the more critter sightings and less full boats these last few years, better do it soon.

BTW we have been 2 women (mom & daughter) on all these trips - no problems whatsoever. You can make things esp easy for you, at least on this your 1st trip, if you book with a group coming from Canada. It's fun to travel as a group and if you have problems with late flights or whatever, it's really nice to have it be the tour operator's problem even more than it's your problem. If the operator is an old hand in this locale, they will solve any problems faster than you ever could have hoped to do on your own.
I too esp. recommend the southern Red Sea, St. Johns, Shaab Claudio, etc. if you really want to see some amazing reefs and millions upon millions of fish.

YMMV, but like @FinnMom said I think it is safe enough to get my family down there in October. If I'm alone, I wouldn't even second thought it. I realize that you might ask from a woman point of view, but my sister was there 2 years ago, and had no issues whatsoever. Egypt put 8M pounds into security last year, just for Sharm, Hurghada and Mar es Alam, so for feeling safe I think it is enough. From woman's point of view they can get pushy, but not abusive. From what I heard they adopted an India's stance on that, and believe me, it is ugly for offenders, even for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom