Diving The Raptor Veterans Day Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HolyDiver54

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure what islands we will be hitting but was wondering from those familiar with their operation and with the current conditions what to expect in the form of kelp and visibility? Any insight and feedback is welcome. Also, I read that it is cooler than normal out there so what should one wear on deck to be comfortable heading out, between dives and the return? Thanks!

Not sure what islands we will be hitting but was wondering from those familiar with their operation and with the current conditions what to expect in the form of kelp and visibility? Any insight and feedback is welcome. Also, I read that it is cooler than normal out there so what should one wear on deck to be comfortable heading out, between dives and the return? Thanks!
Most likely will be diving at Anacapa Island- either the backside or frontside (sometimes both) - just going to depend on swell and wind and overall conditions. Long range forecast looks like low air temps in the low 50's early morning and warming to mid-upper 60's. Should be fine heading out and back in jeans, socks, shoes, and I like to layer up top in the torso with windbreaker type shell jacket. Never bring a heavy jacket. Surface intervals, if you are diving in a wetsuit, I'd just peel down to the waist and throw on your layers. Maybe bring a beanie for the head. There is always shelter from the elements on the Raptor. Front half of the main deck is enclosed. You will have hot cider and coffee available to warm up. Always a warm soup/chili/etc for lunch also.

Diving should be outstanding. Water temps have been in the mid to upper 60's. Kelp is healthy at Anacapa. Have a great time! I was DM on the Raptor for the last 2 years-- let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hope they take you to the Sunken Island, or is it Hidden Island, "something" island anyway, fantastic dive along a wall. Anacapa is great diving. Re: conditions. Don't even worry about it. It is, what it is, when you get there.

You will be with Captain Jeff that day-- my favorite. Also, my friends Tom and Kelly (both Instructors) will be working on the boat that weekend. I have told them you will be diving and to look after you. Here are a couple pics from last weekend. Kelp isn't as healthy as it will be over the coming months, as it will start booming with the advent of winter and colder water temps, but you will love it! Send me a direct message with your name so I can connect you with the crew and have them look out for you. My name is Greg- just tell them you are my friend from Dallas.
upload_2018-11-1_13-48-18.png

upload_2018-11-1_13-48-38.png

Hope they take you to the Sunken Island, or is it Hidden Island, "something" island anyway, fantastic dive along a wall. Anacapa is great diving. Re: conditions. Don't even worry about it. It is, what it is, when you get there.
Underwater Island.

HolyDiver54, please post a trip report.

I'll be diving the same area the following weekend, and I'd appreciate any info you may have about general diving conditions,
and especially water temps.

Have a great trip.
Thanks,

K

The Raptor is a nice dive boat. I need to get up north soon. Yesterday the conditions on the coast where great, flat calm. But the winds may pick up today. Hope it is still nice for your dives.
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom