Diving the MV Castor Wreck on 4-20-2019 in Boynton Beach.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caruso

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This video is 2 dives on the MV Castor wreck on 4-20-2019 with my sister and another diver who joined our West Palm Beach Charter that I posted about earlier on ScubaBoard.

Thanks to Dave at Splashdown Divers who allowed me to free descend to the wreck and hook the reel and flag to it since the DM didn't bring a second tank as he was expecting the second dive to be a reef.

See if you can spot the green moray and a brief entanglement. I have spoken to the diver and suggested a gear configuration change to avoid this problem going forward.

this wreck was intact till a few years ago when one of the hurricanes had it's way with her....still a great dive for the Goliath grouper aggregations...thanks for sharing your video.

The stern of the Castor was knocked off to the starboard in 2012 by hurricane Sandy. It was moved further by hurricane Matthew in 2016. The bow was knocked off to the starboard in 2017 by hurricane Irma. There is an endemic population of Goliath Grouper of perhaps 20 individuals that are there year around. Aggregation occurs from late August until about early October. There are a couple of Bull Sharks that frequently cruise the wreck. Bait balls and hunters are not unusual. Current varies from nothing to absolutely ripping.

The stern of the Castor was knocked off to the starboard in 2012 by hurricane Sandy. It was moved further by hurricane Matthew in 2016. The bow was knocked off to the starboard in 2017 by hurricane Irma.

you have a very good memory...i couldn't remember what storms did what.....i guess it's old-timers...

you have a very good memory...i couldn't remember what storms did what.....i guess it's old-timers...
Hi @iamrushman

I've had a home in Boynton Beach, my favorite diving in SE FL, for about 8 years now. I have a few over 110 dives on the Castor in the last 10 years. She's showing her age, but I love every dive :) I'm no spring chicken either

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom