Diving the Mediterranean Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Miller

Reaction score
I am going on a cruise of the Western Mediterranean Sea in October and I would like to spend at least one day under water. Does anyone have suggestions for locations, dive shops, etc.? I would like to find something on the Palma island of Italy. Thanks for the help.

I was in the Marines for 5 years and spent 1 year, 1 month and 1 day of it in the Med on cruises aboard amphibious assault ships. Are you in the Navy or Marines?? Unfortunately, I wasn't into Scuba when I was in so all I can recommend are bars as I spent a lot of time in them. Palma de Mallorca is an excellent port if that was the port you were suggesting in your post. A lot of hollywood stars vacation there.

Sorry I couldn't help but have a good time...I envy you as I didn't have the sense to get certified b4 I joined the service.

Happy Diving...

Dear Lee

I lived in Italy for a year a few years ago - unfortunately I wasn't diving at the time - there are loads of dive sites all round Italy, when you say the Island of Palma I'm not familiar with this place, but if you meant Parma which isn't by the coast but very near there is Genova and Santa Margherita Ligure which has a few dive sites, there is also Palermo which is in Sicily here too there are good dive sites. If you check out the "Scuba Directory" and have a look for Italy or Italia this site will give you tons of great information!

If you haven't been before you'll love Europe and Italy and also the Greek Islands - ahh, bliss

Happy holidaying

Ruth

Lee Miller,

How was your trip? You never did tell us how it went... You did come back didn't you?

Hi Folks

Have dove the Med on a number occasions and in different locals such as Cyprus,Italy, and Greece. I think the only highlight of diving the Med is artifact diving. Water clarity and marine life was nowhere near what I expected in fact down right dismal. This I believe is attributed to the European method of sewage non-treatment and overfishing practices. Have dove the Adriatic as well, Croatia down to Albania and found much the same conditions, albeit the marine life was more abundant. The Med/Adriatic would not be my choice for a diving holiday, but if there for business purposes water is water :), Oh yeah not mention the permits you require to dive Greece :(.

Remora,
I agree with you. The visability just isn't there, especially if you've been spoiled and dove some of the world that does have great visability.
And as far as Greece, not sure when you were there, but it has 'officially' opened up to diving and the permits are not required everywhere like they were in the past. 2000 changed this law there.
Dive the Planet!

Scubawench
Ruins and such. It is very interesting, but make sure you have a camera!
Natasha
Last time I was in the Med would have been around 91' Adriatic 98' Dobrovnik was tres' cool above and below the waterline!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom