Diving the lost City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffPD

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all I am new to the forum in an effort to find out more information about diving the lost city in China not far from Shanghai can any body help. The question I have are getting to and from and equipment. We would like to use our breathers on this expidition to explorethe location completely

Hi all I am new to the forum in an effort to find out more information about diving the lost city in China not far from Shanghai can any body help. The question I have are getting to and from and equipment. We would like to use our breathers on this expidition to explorethe location completely

Lost city? Now that sounds like an interesting dive. I am looking forward to following this thread.

Hi All, the "lost city" is under the "Qiandao Lake" or "Thousand Island Lake" which is around four hours drive from Shanghai. The ancient city was flooded to create an artificial lake for a hydroelectric project in the late 50's.

A couple of links:
Qiandao Lake: The Thousand Island Lake and Ancient Submerged Cities | Amusing Planet
Photo and Video - The Pai Fang - Qiandao Lake - Big Blue SCUBA Diving Shanghai of China
Photo and Video - An underwater old city - Lion City, Qiandao Lake - Big Blue SCUBA Diving Shanghai of China

Well, it looks like Big Blue does trips to Qiandao lake every couple of weeks so you may not have to do much research. They may or may not dive the city though. They say they have but I never looked to see what the two trips to the lake in July were intended for. You could easily ask. It looks very cool IMO.

Big Blue Schedule - Big Blue SCUBA Diving Shanghai of China

That looks like it would be an AWESOME dive. Totally now on my list of places I must see!

There is a dive club based in Hanzhou, which is a bit closer than Shanghai that operates there during the summer months. It is too cold to dive there any other time. As well, other factors that one must bear in mind in that it is an attitude dive, and to see the sunken city, you have to go down to 40 metres, which limits you bottom time. The visibility is also not that good. The most common activity there is actually spear fishing. If anybody is interested to contact the dive club, pm me and I pass you the instructor's email address.

There is a dive club based in Hanzhou, which is a bit closer than Shanghai that operates there during the summer months. It is too cold to dive there any other time. As well, other factors that one must bear in mind in that it is an attitude dive, and to see the sunken city, you have to go down to 40 metres, which limits you bottom time. The visibility is also not that good. The most common activity there is actually spear fishing. If anybody is interested to contact the dive club, pm me and I pass you the instructor's email address.

Kenlau, do you know if the dive club is still able to dive the lake? I read on another thread that the Big Blue dive shop of Shanghai no longer has permission to dive there from the government, so I was curious if it was just their shop or all divers that were no longer allowed.

I'm pretty sure that Susan Lau from Scuba Delectables (Singapore) and a member of this board, has a ttip planned for May 2015. Perhaps. She will know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom