Diving the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been thinking for a while that I would like to do some wreck diving in the lakes. Being from WV the closest lake would be Erie and the southern tip of Huron is also a reasonable drive.

If I were to drive up for a long weekend planning to get 4 or 5 dives in, where would be the best wrecks in these areas, what are the depths, vis. and water temps. and when does the algae bloom begin in ernest? I am a dry suit diver.

Or would I be better off taking a week and going to Lake Michigan to get good wreck diving opportunites?

Dive shops and charter service links would be welcomed and appreciated. Naturally when I decide on a date I would welcome any SCUBABOARD members to join me. I did this in the PNW and had a great experience meeting all the SBer's from the local area and I had a couple great dives.

PM me if you like, I would like to get out to do the lakes this spring. I will be taking a short trip to Florida next month to dive Ginnie Springs and get in a couple of dives out of West Palm Beach so I would hope to get out to the lakes in late March or April and maybe bring a buddy or two or maybe come alone. Either way I would like to meet some of the local SBer's. The locals always know the best dive spots anyway.

The part of Lake Huron that you refer has great wreck diving. My favorite operator out of that area is Gary Venet Sr.

As well, I would like to expand out to Lake Erie this year. I tend to use a dive shop of Buffalo for some of that. Check out Discover Diving out of Depew, NY. I am sure that there are many other good ideas out there. These are just mine.

I'm sure that you will see all kinds of stuff as to the best wrecks and dive sites in the area. None of them will be wrong. I hope to catch up with you again real soon.

WVDiver:
I have been thinking for a while that I would like to do some wreck diving in the lakes. Being from WV the closest lake would be Erie and the southern tip of Huron is also a reasonable drive.

If I were to drive up for a long weekend planning to get 4 or 5 dives in, where would be the best wrecks in these areas, what are the depths, vis. and water temps. and when does the algae bloom begin in ernest? I am a dry suit diver.

PM me if you like, I would like to get out to do the lakes this spring. I will be taking a short trip to Florida next month to dive Ginnie Springs and get in a couple of dives out of West Palm Beach so I would hope to get out to the lakes in late March or April and maybe bring a buddy or two or maybe come alone. Either way I would like to meet some of the local SBer's. The locals always know the best dive spots anyway.

PM sent,
The Algae blooms start as the water warms ,things turn green,and zebra muscles clean the water and make it clear some great vis was had by us last year lack of rain helped! But now as the water clears sun gets down in the water deeper and wow we have blooms starting in water I never seen the likes before!
Dive safe,
Brad

moneysavr:
PM sent,
The Algae blooms start as the water warms ,things turn green,and zebra muscles clean the water and make it clear some great vis was had by us last year lack of rain helped! But now as the water clears sun gets down in the water deeper and wow we have blooms starting in water I never seen the likes before!
Dive safe,
Brad

I am very familiar with the Zebra Mussels as freshwater mussels are what I spend my time with as a biologist. I wasn't sure when the waters would begin to warm in your area. Much later than here I would assume. Is there an initial explosion of algae that is cleaned up quickly by the zeb's or does the algae hang on enough to greatly reduce the vis.? What are your spring time (say April) water temps.?

I will be in Cedar Rapids in July. Just at a quick glance it would appear that you are about an 8 hour drive from CR.

Thanks for the reply.

Late in June it starts slow,, and the long grass type algae starts in water to depths of over 70fsw water stays clear but gets a green hue in some areas mostly shallow its in fall as things cool off and the carpets of algae can cover shallow wrecks and move in and out with storms,and this when it washes up on shore can cause a stink! I love to dive all year and can find wrecks to dive with great vis any time,
Just not sure how this zebra muscle and other things are going to work out in the greater eco scheme of things good or for the worst?

A point a wreck I was diving last year in 55fsw I was looking for a rudder section That I found then lost.
On the bottom near the section was a clay hill and a dead lake trout when I first found it.
4 weeks after looking I found the course and wam the same dead trout kind of kept neat by the cold waters and lack of curent due to clay hill, but nothing had eaten it,The ocean it would be gone in a hour or two, I am worried about the lack of life and loss of some types of fish,hope this is not a bad thing.
Brad

There are a ton of wrecks in the Staits of Mackinaw. We dive with Abyss Dive Charters I have dove with them the last two summers and they have done a very good job for us.

Best hidden secret in wreck diving is the Great Lakes

Up here in Alpena, we have some awesome wrecks, depth's range from 6' to 200' the deeper wrecks are much more pristine, water temps below 100' are around 38 to 40 degrees, vis is around 30+ feet on the deep wrecks. Check out www.tbscuba.com

Mike

mlakin:
Up here in Alpena, we have some awesome wrecks, depth's range from 6' to 200' the deeper wrecks are much more pristine, water temps below 100' are around 38 to 40 degrees, vis is around 30+ feet on the deep wrecks. Check out www.tbscuba.com
Mike
Been thinking of heading that way this summer, I know there is some nice wrecks there. Thanks for the link on the shop, you ever dive with Pajoney <- not spelled right

WVDiver:

Or would I be better off taking a week and going to Lake Michigan to get good wreck diving opportunites?

Dive shops and charter service links would be welcomed and appreciated. Naturally when I decide on a date I would welcome any SCUBABOARD members to join me. I did this in the PNW and had a great experience meeting all the SBer's from the local area and I had a couple great dives.

I think you'll find that Osprey Dive Charters out of Barcelona, NY is a reasonable drive for you. There are a multitude of good wreck dives there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom