Diving the Comal River in New Braunfels on December 29th and/or 30th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Monnat Jr

Divemaster (DM)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
An instructor friend of mine is having to do his class on Saturday/Sunday December 29th/30th at Prince Solms Park. He hasn't been diving in the Comal before, so after his class on one of or both days we plan on drifting downstream for fun dives. Anyone is welcome to join us. If anyone's interested, I'll post the exact date(s) and time(s).

Reactions: Foo
Not this go round my friend. I think we'll be there the weekend of Jan. 19th though. Probably not diving the Comal but Spring Lake.

There's a creek that enters the river just upstream of the 1st tube chute that has a pool area about 12-15' deep. It's real close to Hinman. The rest is about 6' deep, but with the recent rains it may be a tad deeper. It's excellent buoyancy practice, especially for dry suit, since it's so shallow - just gliding along the bottom.

An instructor friend of mine just tried a class there this morning. He had to call it after Dive 1, because the current was too strong for the skills (he'll be moving to Canyon Lake tomorrow). I've seen classes there before, and I did some Public Safety diving training (and Swiftwater Rescue) there.

By the way, any oil rigs left? My wife and I enjoyed the ones we did years ago.

I'm still uncertain as to whether or not I'll be in that area on the weekend of the 19th but I do know I'm helping with an OW class here locally this weekend and that water is going to be cold. 40's cold. Here's to hoping at least the weather is a bit warmer like it was yesterday and today.

Unfortunately, I have to go to Canada next week after being in Baltimore last week and back to the NE after Canada. And none of that includes diving.

Did my checkout dives at Comal 15-16 years ago- it was 15 ft deep at Prince Solmes Park if you laid your gauge in the mud. lol. We have gone back several times, love that little river.

Did my checkout dives at Comal 15-16 years ago- it was 15 ft deep at Prince Solmes Park if you laid your gauge in the mud. lol. We have gone back several times, love that little river.
Oh going through the tube chute @ Prince Solmes Park in full dive gear w/o a tube is loads of fun! Pretty interesting when you come out of it and can stay under in the "washing machine" too. The rest of the river, though, was pretty lackluster for me. Spent most of my time just floating on my back because the visibility beneath the surface wasn't wonderful. I did rescue an iPhone at the last exit, though. And got plenty of Scuba Steve comments along the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom