Diving the atocha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Has anyone dove the atocha treasure dives in fl. I am hopeing to dive this wreck in a few months but the folks at mel fishers (they have the rights to the wreck) havent answerd any emails. Im trying to get details and cost. I know if you find anything you split your findings with them or buy there share from them but Im hoping to get details without haveing to make the long international phone call from japan.

I think you have to "buy a share" from them in order to dive it. Then at the end of some time period, they pay dividends on what is found for the year. I think this is in either cash or "bounty" of items, some of which you might have found yourself.

BTW... The above information was on a documentary about the wreck that was on either the History channel or the Discovery channel and is the "TV version" which might differ from the true facts.

If you don't hear back from them in a few days via email. Let me know. I can give them a call and email/PM the info to you.

mike_s:
I think you have to "buy a share" from them in order to dive it. Then at the end of some time period, they pay dividends on what is found for the year. I think this is in either cash or "bounty" of items, some of which you might have found yourself.

BTW... The above information was on a documentary about the wreck that was on either the History channel or the Discovery channel and is the "TV version" which might differ from the true facts.

If you don't hear back from them in a few days via email. Let me know. I can give them a call and email/PM the info to you.

thanks for the info, any idea what the show was called? My parents live in sabastien fl and heard about the dives from a newspaper article about mel fisher.

drglnc:
thanks for the info, any idea what the show was called? My parents live in sabastien fl and heard about the dives from a newspaper article about mel fisher.

Have your parents call 888-577-6995 and ask your questions for you.

Jackie

drglnc:

I can't remember the show name, but it was about shipwrecks in the keys. only part of it was about the Mel fisher group.

drglnc:
Has anyone dove the atocha treasure dives in fl. I am hopeing to dive this wreck in a few months but the folks at mel fishers (they have the rights to the wreck) havent answerd any emails. Im trying to get details and cost. I know if you find anything you split your findings with them or buy there share from them but Im hoping to get details without haveing to make the long international phone call from japan.

Make sure you only show them the little emeralds only! You will never get to keep the big ones that you might find!

Capt. Tom

Back
Top Bottom