diving temperatures NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michael Friesen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello there,

I am planning a trip to NZ from november 22nd to january 2nd (if pandemic situation gets under control) and was wondering what I need to pack as an exposure suit. I love my drysuit, but if i can get away with just carrying a wetsuit, or renting one (especially considering I will be renting weights and tanks), it would be nice.

what kind of temperatures can I expect around the two islands during that period? is there a big difference between areas?

My usual temperature range I get here in eastern Canada is from -2C to 8C all summer long which means I do enjoy my dry suit. but I think I am relatively cold resistant.

Where in New Zealand? Sea temperatures will range from 10c to 22c over the length of the country. I'd reccomend the drysuit. The minimum I've seen worn is a 8mm semi dry or a well fitting 5mm freediving suit. That being said it is possible to rent drysuit from select places as well.

Unlikely you will be able to enter NZ this year or probably for most of next year. For most of the time you are talking about, a 7 mm semidry should be enough, assuming you go to the North Island to dive.

hello there,

I am planning a trip to NZ from november 22nd to january 2nd (if pandemic situation gets under control) and was wondering what I need to pack as an exposure suit. I love my drysuit, but if i can get away with just carrying a wetsuit, or renting one (especially considering I will be renting weights and tanks), it would be nice.

what kind of temperatures can I expect around the two islands during that period? is there a big difference between areas?

My usual temperature range I get here in eastern Canada is from -2C to 8C all summer long which means I do enjoy my dry suit. but I think I am relatively cold resistant.
FWIW, I dove Poor Knights in September 2018. I rented a drysuit, the other divers (7 mm wetsuits) on the boat snickered before the first dive, after the second dive their attitude had changed remarkably.

Last week the water temperature at the Poor Kinghts was 20C. I was very comfortable in my drysuit.

I dive in my drysuit all year round in NZ :) We've also been told to anticipate our borders being closed for this year.. except for possibly Pacific neighbours (and currently Oz). Good luck

I dive in my drysuit all year round in NZ :) We've also been told to anticipate our borders being closed for this year.. except for possibly Pacific neighbours (and currently Oz). Good luck

thanks for the tip. I am a little hopeful that the vaccines will open things up by November and will modify my plans if my hopes grow unfounded. It just turns out I have 1 month off at that time, and hoping I would take advantage of it

Where in New Zealand? Sea temperatures will range from 10c to 22c over the length of the country. I'd reccomend the drysuit. The minimum I've seen worn is a 8mm semi dry or a well fitting 5mm freediving suit. That being said it is possible to rent drysuit from select places as well.

I would like to travel over both islands and dive a little bit everywhere. if 10c is the lowest it will go that is a nice 7mm wetsuit temperature for me. I am considering doing what you suggest and renting a drysuit to save luggage space.

BTW what kind of tank valves are most common in new zealand operators? Din or Yoke? I have Din on my regs, but I can purchase an adaptor if need be.

Back
Top Bottom