Diving Taiwan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uli Kunkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im thinking of coming over to Taiwan soon to do some diving and just general sightseeing. Ive been looking through the forum a little but cant find much information on dive sites which are more for macro life than the big stuff. (Although those pics and video of the hammerheads are enticing!)

So, are there many places to dive which are more like "muck" sites? What can I expect?

Thanks!

Not really "muck" sites per se, but there's plenty of macro stuff; don't worry. As for what you can expect, there are many many nudibranch species to be seen in Taiwan; various shrimps and crabs; occasional pipefish (Shan Hai is an especially good dive site for those); occasional mantis shrimps; seahorses if you're lucky (I've only seen a handful); a variety of photogenic fishes (e.g., tiny whip coral gobies); and a good variety of corals sponges tunicates hydrozoans and other sessile reef organisms; and I don't know if you'd consider them "macro" or not but cuttlefish and octopuses are fairly common.

My photography skills are pretty bad, but a regular dive buddy of mine has taken some great photos of marine life in Taiwan. Those photos will give you an idea of what there is to be seen. Check his stuff out here: Underwater Photography | Thomas Koenig Photography

Hope that helps.

I really like your pics!

....and I see you have frogfish too! Im sold!

Are there any dives in the North?

Uli,

Up North of Taiwan yes, good diving but pretty seasonal - last year from April the waters settled down, Viz improved, temps water went up to above mid 20's and through to late October diveable most of the time.

Best or easiest spot to head for is Longdong bay, which is about an hours drive on N/E coast which as name suggests is a bay with some very decent varied diving on various reef, including an encrusted old wreck, good muck diving, some great walls, and all easily accessible without boat. Type of life there - too varied to mention !

We normally head to Pioneer diving, run by Ken who has some very reliable DM's working there that have showed us some excellent sites. His website is in Chinese pioneerdiver s}W ?? ?C ? ? v and not sure if he's posted pics or not, but if in North Taiwan, for sure worth checking out the diving up N/E coast - and if you PM me when out here, maybe see you up there one weekend.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom