• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving suit colour

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by Subcooled, May 6, 2020.

1. Subcooled

Subcooled Assistant Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    We all know that the best possible colour for a diving suit would be reflective white, would it not? It is easy to spot. Many people diving in clear blue waters might be content with yellow diving suits also.

It is striking then how many divers prefer matte black.

It does not make any sense. Is this due to normativity? It is "manly" to be a military diver. Hence matte black? Black rubber can withstand the rays on sun indeed, but how many of us store our suits in plain sunshine?

Sorry for bringing this same topic up again, but there have not been that many threads... and normativity in diving is a problem in general.

Brett Hatch likes this.
  2. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Most of us dive to see marine life. In order to get close enough to them, we have to be less visible.

eleniel and Subcooled like this.
  3. formernuke

formernuke ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    For visibility purposes violet is the best as it's the last in the color spectrum at depth.

But all dive gear should come in PURPLE

Subcooled and Catito like this.
  4. Brett Hatch

Brett Hatch ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    The hell with black-on-black-on-black. My drysuit is yellow, my wing is pink, my fins are orange, my mask is white. I just look like a goofball all the time, and it's awesome.

Trego, lexvil, eleniel and 7 others like this.
  5. WarrenZ

WarrenZ The Ultimate Bad Example ScubaBoard Supporter

Most of my gear is black just because it is the color it came in. It sucks when digging through a gear bag in the dark but I can make do by touch. I prefer to have at least bright fins (mine are deep six orange)so that I can be spotted in the crowd.

If you like color go for it. Pete wears a tie dye shirt when diving as he thinks it makes the fish not see him as a potential predator.

Subcooled likes this.
  6. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

My eyeballs are bleeding just thinking about it!

motorref likes this.
  7. Brett Hatch

Brett Hatch ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'll try to get a picture some time, I'm sure you'll hate it :)

eleniel, Diving Dubai, Kensei and 2 others like this.
  8. Panther1880

Panther1880 DIR Practitioner

Why black is easy for rubber... Because if the ingredients in rubber. For fabrics the idea to look a certain way remains important I guess.
    Tanks here in the Netherlands are mostly white. In murky waters they are easy to spot. If the visibility drops sometimes all I see from a buddy swimming in front of me are the black fins though. If someone is facing sideways or towards me I'll see his/her light.
    I'm glad none of my buddies wears retro-reflective white. When facing them close by I'd be blinded.
    Would white tanks work as well in clear waters to increase visibility? I think so but I have little experience in clear water, what do you think?

Subcooled likes this.
  9. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Solo Diver

A light/bright colored suit would live a short life where I dive. Not all of us dive warm, clear water.

DW

Subcooled likes this.
  10. EberWolf

EberWolf Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    If you want a cheaper way to change your suit color get a skinsuit on amazon for 20$.
    aqua sargeVDH.jpg

Trego, motorref, Lostdiver71 and 2 others like this.