• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving solo?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by DerrickMcD, Jan 24, 2014.

1. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    If you decide to ignore all the excellent advise you've gotten so far, and insist on solo diving, do us all a favor and don't go deeper than you can stand up in. Diving doesn't need another accidental death there's already way too many. As I'm fond of saying if a diver has to ask if he's ready for solo diving, (s)he's probably not.

2. giffenk

giffenk Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Solo diver or a single diver?

I am thinking the op is a single diver.... Clarifying this may change the feedback.

Because... If you solo dive and wear split fins... yur gonna die!

Pixelator likes this.
  3. mick allein III

mick allein III Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499

4. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

I dive with the same equipment whether 30' or 100+. But I rarely go below 30 solo.

5. rx7diver

rx7diver Solo Diver

mick allein,

The Solo Divers Forum (www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/) is an excellent place to take these types of questions.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 11:40 PM ----------

Opps, sorry, I just went there, myself, and saw that you've found it!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. DerrickMcD

DerrickMcD Solo Diver

Thanks for all the input. As far as safety goes I can appreciate the concern. I'm fairly comfortable at managing risks. Which is why I didn't really plan on hitting the reef or going much below safety stop level solo at this point. I can hit 20-25' while snorkeling but can spend enough time down to get much in the way of practice. As to the main point of my post it sounds as if it just depends where I go.

This helps a lot for me to decide where to go. I'll look at someplace like coco view or Anthony's Key Resort that provide 3-4 off the boat dives a day rather than mess around with solo diving at this point. I can always chew up any extra time snorkeling solo.

Thanks

7. CT-Rich

CT-Rich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

You realize that you can hook up with another unaffiliated dive buddy who is as skills deficient as you? I imagine some place like Bonaire is crawling with divers in need of practice. I would either ask the dive op to introduce you to one or just look for the guy/gal with white skin or a hellish sunburn. Ask them if they are interested in doing some shore dives to work on skills. Odds are they will now announce that they are glad they aren't the only one on the island that needs help....

AfterDark likes this.
  8. Desert_Pirate

Desert_Pirate Public Safety Diver

How do you get AOW with only 20 dives? SSI requires minimum of 24 I believe PADI DOES AS well... dive your experience not your card level. I would challenge your instructor for building false confidence....

9. DerrickMcD

DerrickMcD Solo Diver

LOL are 2 incompetent gits safer than one :D. All kidding aside that would be ideal but I don't want to plan a trip in the hopes I'll meet up with someone to get in all the dive time I want. But meeting good people is always a bonus.

10. razorbackdiver

razorbackdiver Solo Diver

OP while we caution about diving solo, I do encourage you to become self reliant. The more self reliant you are, the easier it is to deal with less than stellar dive buddies. Also, based on your post you may want to work on your own buddy skills. If I'm diving lead I like my buddy to be in a position that I can see them with a simple turn of my head. Most newly certified divers like to hang behind and above their lead where they can see everything but not easily be seen if they get in trouble. If I am not diving lead I try to be at the same depth as the lead with the top of my head at their shoulder level in the direction of travel. This way I can see them and they can see me. As far as people behind you are concerned, it their responsibility to avoid your fins

AfterDark likes this.