Diving / snorkeling in Bali with kids - suggestions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFOrb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there, I've found this site to be a really useful resource so decided to join up :) & this is my first post...

Anyway, sorry if this subject's been covered before, but I'm hoping for some advice about a planned 2 week trip to Bali in July.

I basically want to know the best place to base ourselves for diving and snorkelling bearing in mind we'll have a 1 year old & 4 year old with us. We'd like it all; a nice sandy beach, good snorkelling close to shore and good diving within easy reach (short trips). I'm currently thinking PadangBai or Candidasa and/or Nusa Lembongan. Definitely want to include a day trip/trips to Tulamben too.
What are the beaches & sea conditions like for kids in those locations. Are they generally child friendly? We're obviously hoping to avoid strong currents & waves as much as possible.

As a side note, does anyone know how Bali compares to east coast Malaysia peninsula in terms of beaches, snorkelling & diving? ie Redang or Perhentian? We'll be travelling from Bangkok so convenience is also a factor.

Many thanks in advance.
Rob

OK... first off, Bali CANNOT compare in terms of beches to say Perhantians or any other thai island like Koh Lipe.
Don't look for great sandy beaches good for kids in Bali, you should then go to Gili islands, Gili air preferably.

Amed has fine black sand/gravel beaches on Jemeluk and Lipah bay area, this where you can snorkel from the beach too.
It will be difficult to snorkel from lembongan, best snorkeling spots are accessed by boat on Nusa Penida, but they're rewarding I don't think there are a lot of places in the world where a kid with a snorkel can watch mantas on surface.

I like snorkeling in Tulamben but it's rocky beaches too.

OK... first off, Bali CANNOT compare in terms of beches to say Perhantians or any other thai island like Koh Lipe.
Don't look for great sandy beaches good for kids in Bali, you should then go to Gili islands, Gili air preferably.

Amed has fine black sand/gravel beaches on Jemeluk and Lipah bay area, this where you can snorkel from the beach too.
It will be difficult to snorkel from lembongan, best snorkeling spots are accessed by boat on Nusa Penida, but they're rewarding I don't think there are a lot of places in the world where a kid with a snorkel can watch mantas on surface.

I like snorkeling in Tulamben but it's rocky beaches too.

Thanks Luko, we were actually on Koh Lipe in October and the diving was nice, but a bit restricted due to the season. It's actually great with the kids though as the water is safe and some dive sites are very close so my wife and I could take turns diving without having to look after the baby alone for too long. I could take my 3 year snorkelling safely at low tide too (saw his first Clownfish!). He tells me he really wants to see Mantas, so maybe Nusa Penida!! :D I cant think of anywhere else so convenient for diving/snorkelling with kids in Thailand (my wife's Thai so we've seen a fair bit of the country). But whilst its nice and relaxing around Lipe I prefer the dive sites further north on the Thai Andaman coast (not done Similans yet). Also, the journey to Lipe was very long for the kids, and the boat was rough!!! Would definitely go again but prob in dry season next time (but will be difficult for us now cos of the school holidays).
We learned to dive on Perhentian (Bubbles Dive resort) & would also like to go back there some time. So maybe there or Redang...

Gili islands sound interesting but we're really trying to cut down the amount of travelling/transfers to a minimum.

We'd really love to dive in Bali so maybe just have to compromise on the beach... or go somewhere better for kids this time and save Bali till they're a little older!

Last edited:
But then if you add up more contraints, it'll be impossible to find a matching spot.
Of course, Bali is much better underwater than Lipe, I also agree that Hin Daeng or Hin Muang are better than Lipe.

I used to travel with my daughter starting when she was 18mths old, at that time we used to go to the caribbeans (Bonaire, safe and easy from Europe) we considered she was old enough to travel longer when she was 3, we then went to ...the Perhentians !!!

I think the best snorkeling she admittedly EVER had was Sipadan, when she was 10 yo. great beach, loads of turtles and first reef sharks seen over the wall.
A bit older she also stated that the Gili Air, and Bali Liberty and the manta rays were probably her best snorkeling trips, along with Lease islands Maluku (quite remote).

And yes we had fun in Lipe too, more for the beaches than the diving even though... :

Last edited:
But then if you add up more contraints, it'll be impossible to find a matching spot.
Of course, Bali is much better underwater than Lipe, I also agree that Hin Daeng or Hin Muang are better than Lipe.

I used to travel with my daughter starting when she was 18mths old, at that time we used to go to the caribbeans (Bonaire, safe and easy from Europe) we considered she was old enough to travel longer when she was 3, we then went to ...the Perhentians !!!

I think the best snorkeling she admittedly EVER had was Sipadan, when she was 10 yo. great beach, loads of turtles and first reef sharks seen over the wall.
A bit older she also stated that the Gili Air, and Bali Liberty and the manta rays were probably her best snorkeling trips.

And yes we had fun in Lipe too, more for the beaches than the diving even though... :

Yeah, Sipadan is our dream...one day! Like you, we'll have to wait until the kids are a bit older. We feel a bit guilty dragging them around to go to where we want, but they enjoy themselves when they're there!

We'd love to visit the Caribbean too but as my wife's Thai we tend to go to SE Asia - cost & time-wise it makes more sense to combine holiday with family visit..., although we have also dived in the Red Sea and Malta :)

We feel a bit guilty dragging them around to go to where we want, but they enjoy themselves when they're there!
You certailnly don't have to feel guilty, I have been dragged around the world in old Boeing 707s, LandRovers in East Africa or sail boats in Fiji when I was a kid (first trip in Erythrea 18mths old... wtf...) and thank my mother for that.

Our first trip to the Perhentians with my 3 yo was 24h hours long door to door, and she was very happy to play on the sandy beach, look at the clownfishes through her first mask, watch the hermits crabs and even run after a snake in the alley of the resort (Yikes!).

So do not underestimate the kids ability to adapt quickly to long trips, they're not old and routine happy like us.

You certailnly don't have to feel guilty, I have been dragged around the world in old Boeing 707s, LandRovers in East Africa or sail boats in Fiji when I was a kid (first trip in Erythrea 18mths old... wtf...) and thank my mother for that.
So the travel bug stayed with you then!! :cool::thumb2:

yes we had fun in Lipe too, more for the beaches than the diving even though... :

Great photo by the way, it didn't show on my work laptop I was on earlier today.

I have exactly the same constraints as you do, a 4yr old, a 1 yr old AND we are based in Singapore SO yup we too are still looking for that Holy Grail of
dive location! But honestly I have yet to find one that ticks all the boxes...still searching for Shangri-la!
So far one of the best spots has been Black Sands Retreat in Lembeh. Great resort, the beach is great (pitch black and super fine sand) the only issue would be lack of good snorkeling. Blue Bay Divers in Bangka has an amazing beach, snorkeling is good and great diving BUT does not have 24hr electricity! Tulamben great diving but rock beach... I've posted a few trip reports on the places I've been... feel free to drop me a PM if you need any details.

Perhensians/ Rendang looks like amazing beaches and snorkeling but so-so diving and travel is slow and long.....but I suppose I should possibly just grin and bare the travel....
Tioman is a cheaper option, but again very so-so diving.
Prince John dive resort looks very interesting....BUT lots of travel.....
Luko mentioned Amed in Bali, you should really look into that...yes the beach wont be "paradise perfect" but heck all your 3yr old cares about is that mom and dad are around and there is sand to eat! ha ha

We are heading to Buceo Anilao Beach and Dive Resort in March I'll post a review in the Philippine forum when we get back. Will see how many boxes it ticks.
Enjoy the search.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom