Diving sites - need some recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Ra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!

Me and my fiancee are looking to spend 3 weeks in the Philippines during March 2023. We are currently doing some research on what dive sites to choose.

We are interested in picking a site which fulfills the following criteria:

- big(ger) fish (sharks, whale sharks)
- a wide variety of corals in a good to pristine condition
- optional: wrecks
- no liveaboards
- no complicated access (we don't want to travel 10 hours from the airport and switch three ferries)

We took a look at the book "Diving in South-East Asia" by Wormald, but there are so, so many possible locations. It seems that Malapascua seems to be quite popular (considering our requirements). Do you share this view? Do you maybe know some alternatives?

Thank you for your help.

There aren't that many locations in Philippines that really suit your requirement.

"Evolution" at Malapascua.
The private transfer from Cebu City is not complicated but on the expensive side.
Couple of days at Moalboal and then a side trip to Oslob(whaleshark)

Thank you very much for your answer. Is it possible to dive with whalesharks in Oslob? I have read somewhere, that you can you only snorkel there.

I have never done it but absolutely certain that you can dive with the gentle giant unless there has been a change in regulation. But I doubt it because it has generated a lot of businesses for the local community.

We dove with them and that option does not appear to have changed. (There are certainly other locations around the world that only allow snorkel.)

Thank you for your answers. How would you describe Tubbatha?
Open from mid Mar to mid June.
Best in the country but Mar is much too early because of the weather. Really open area with no where to hide from the element. It is a huge area and mainly wall dive.
I have been there few times and highly recommended.

If you have time and a wee bit inclination on travelling then Malapascua + Southern Leyte offers a much better option.

Open from mid Mar to mid June.
Best in the country but Mar is much too early because of the weather. Really open area with no where to hide from the element. It is a huge area and mainly wall dive.
I have been there few times and highly recommended.

If you have time and a wee bit inclination on travelling then Malapascua + Southern Leyte offers a much better option.

Thanks. Do you have a specific spot in Southern Leyte as a base / starting point?

There are only a handful few of operators in the area.
Any incompetent one would had gone oot business in no time at all because of its remoteness.

Peter's is my recommendation if you insist on a name.

I could never find an EASY way to link up Malapascua and Southern Leyte. It is possible but time consuming.

Back
Top Bottom