Diving Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin Dan

New
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right place to put this, new to this forum. Well my uncle and I are looking online for a good but cheaper scooter. We have been looking at the Aqua Sea Scooter Water Scuba Dive Diving Dual Speed 200THE ONLY 1 W/ ALL METAL GEARS & LIFETIME WARR on ebay. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with these cheaper recreational dive scooters. Maybe there is another one out there that we overlooked or just missed. ANY INPUT will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Sea-Scoote...oryZ1300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if interested in looking this up copy the link into your browser thanks

They are a fun pool toy, not much more. N

You're going to get all sorts of opinions. Here's mine.

I've owned a Gavin for over a year now, many of my dive buddies also have scooters, either Andrew's X-scooter or Rodney's Silent Submersion.

Bottom line is that unless you're diving in a swimming pool or a confined-water area quite similar to a swimming pool, a scooter allows you to get into much more trouble much more quickly than you can get into swimming.

You can get further back into a cave than you can swim out without the scooter.

You can get further back into a wreck than you can feel your way out of after you silt it up. Or simply get further away from your dive boat than you can swim back in the time you have left.

Assuming its working, the scooter will also get you OUT of trouble more quickly than you could without it...currents come to mind.

It's the assumption that its working which is problematic.

If the scooter fails, and they do from time to time, you can be in a world of hurt.

So if you're going to get one, simply realize that your safety may depend on it unless you only use it in extremely benign environments. It isn't simply diving with a motor, theres a bit more to dive planning and communications, etc.

Recommend that you look at any of the three mentioned; Gavin, X, or SS, ...any of them are quality products. All of them, new, will set you back ~$3700 or so to get into one. Contrast that cost with a jetski, a dirtbike, or a snowmobile.

If you're not willing to get into a scooter to that level, I'd advise you to be extremely careful using whatever you DO get. Too deep, it floods. Too long or far, it dies. Its simply too easy to get into situations that you won't be able to get out of, with most of the less expensive products currently on the market.

And welcome to ScubaBoard.

Dive safe,

Doc

Back
Top Bottom