Diving schools/ instructor suggestions for Open Water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divechk

Reaction score
A really good buddy is hoping to get certified out there on a private class basis. He is also hoping to get in a few dives after certification. Wondering if anyone on this site knew anything about schools/ instructors out there. Any thoughts/ comments appreciated. :D

How long does he have to get done? I offer private classroom instruction at my home or his with pool sessions 10 minutes away from me. Look at my previous posts regarding training philosophy and methods. My website is
Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services
Classes take 6-8 weeks depending on the students progress and schedule. It can be shortened to a month but he'll work his butt off. 32 hours of instruction(16 class, plus 16 pool) in addition to checkouts.

I guarantee he will be able to independently plan, execute, and return from a dive with a buddy of equal skill in conditions equal to or better than what he trains in with no DM or Instructor needed. He will not get a card until then and I will train him until that goal is reached at no additional cost for extra pool sessions or dives. If he is in my area he can call for rates as private lessons vary depending on a number of factors that will be dicussed with him.

It would help to know what area they are looking in, we have a shop in Harford County that has a pool onsite and can do private lessons as needed. Can you tell us where your friend will be?

Thanks,
Gary

So more on my friend- he is in DC proper, or downtown DC. He works shifts and travels regularly on the weekends. I'm pretty sure he is looking for something private that can work around his schedule, and can be done within the next 5 weeks or so (i'm fuzzy on the time line, but this guesstimate is close).

The narrow time frame to get certified is important. I recommended that he get the check-out dives completed in DC and possibly 1-2 more before he heads to vacation so he can better enjoy his vacation where he hopes to scuba a little.

He wants to learn to be a good diver. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom