Diving Resources in and near Bangkok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a job offer in Bangkok that I think I am going to accept and I'm looking for advice on resources to support the addiction when I go. The job is near Thong Lo and I presume I will be living somewhere near that area. Suggestions on a good LDS nearby (that services Apeks regs, preferably)? Local dive clubs? Coming from a place where the only diving quickly accessible is a quarry, I'm also excited to be pretty close to some spots that are not quite as cold and dark! It looks like I'd be able to head down to Pattaya, for example, for weekends pretty easily. Suggestions on good spots within a few hours striking distance to dive? Any local info would be greatly appreciated.

I take my Apeks regs to Aquamaster here on Phuket, and they have a branch office in Bangkok:
AQUA MASTER BANGKOK (Local distributor)

16 Asoke Court, Sukhumvit 21 Rd., Wattana,
Bangkok 10110 Thailand
Tel.: 022 593 191
Fax: 022 593 197
Email: bangkok@aquamaster.net

Regarding local resources, there's a little expat dive club that you can contact here on SB or on Meetup. They do weekend and other outings down to the Pattaya area. And for not so local, you can always hop on a plane to Phuket!

Thanks, Quero. I requested membership in BKK divers. Will definitely be going to Phuket - just not every weekend! Hope to see you there.

Will do. Been a couple of days since requesting membership in BKK divers. Seems like it's not an active SB group. Looked at Meetup and saw something in Feb. - encouraging. Will be there in a week and will check out stuff on the ground. Thanks again!

My pleasure, as always. Give me a ring when you get here and you have a local SIM card/phone number. Then I can connect you with the two organizers of the group (Jon and Alex) by passing your number to them.

I have a job offer in Bangkok that I think I am going to accept and I'm looking for advice on resources to support the addiction when I go. The job is near Thong Lo and I presume I will be living somewhere near that area. Suggestions on a good LDS nearby (that services Apeks regs, preferably)? Local dive clubs? Coming from a place where the only diving quickly accessible is a quarry, I'm also excited to be pretty close to some spots that are not quite as cold and dark! It looks like I'd be able to head down to Pattaya, for example, for weekends pretty easily. Suggestions on good spots within a few hours striking distance to dive? Any local info would be greatly appreciated.

You really want to be looking at diving near Samae San, a little further South than Pattaya but the diving and general environment are much better, the diving actually in Pattaya is quite uninspiring. I dived in my earlier years predominantly in the UK and the conditions in Pattaya whilst as you suggest are significantly warmer, the Viz is generally on par or worse than what I would expect in UK waters.
The sea in this area in general is really not of the best quality, sadly only yesterday I was watching on the Thai TV news that there has been much dead marine life washed up on the beaches around Bang Saen following an influx of some red coloured polutant in the water. (my Thai language is not perfect so I will not quote further information that I may not have fully understood, but I dare say there will be info available about this incident somewhere on the internet)

You really want to be looking at diving near Samae San, a little further South than Pattaya but the diving and general environment are much better, the diving actually in Pattaya is quite uninspiring. I dived in my earlier years predominantly in the UK and the conditions in Pattaya whilst as you suggest are significantly warmer, the Viz is generally on par or worse than what I would expect in UK waters.
The sea in this area in general is really not of the best quality, sadly only yesterday I was watching on the Thai TV news that there has been much dead marine life washed up on the beaches around Bang Saen following an influx of some red coloured polutant in the water. (my Thai language is not perfect so I will not quote further information that I may not have fully understood, but I dare say there will be info available about this incident somewhere on the internet)

Thanks. Noted. I am in BKK now and receiving similar advice. Seems like a number of places in reasonable striking distance by car. Tom

Thanks. Noted. I am in BKK now and receiving similar advice. Seems like a number of places in reasonable striking distance by car. Tom

If you have your own transport you can go direct with a Thai operated boat at Samae San which generally caters for Thai customers at the weekend. Ray Divers. They are less than half the price of all the farrang operated Pattaya shops, but I think do not provide a pick up service, around 1200-1400bt for a 2 dive trip, as opposed to upwards of 3000bt and even 4000bt I have been quoted in Pattaya for a trip to Samae San.

If you have your own transport you can go direct with a Thai operated boat at Samae San which generally caters for Thai customers at the weekend. Ray Divers. They are less than half the price of all the farrang operated Pattaya shops, but I think do not provide a pick up service, around 1200-1400bt for a 2 dive trip, as opposed to upwards of 3000bt and even 4000bt I have been quoted in Pattaya for a trip to Samae San.

Thanks. I do have my own transport and will look into Ray Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom