Diving Regulations - Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We are sailing to the Islands for the winter with the primary purpose of diving. For several islands (Saba, St. Eustatius) I have discovered that diving from your own boat is not permitted. Using dive operators all the time would break the bank in a matter of weeks (we have a compressor onboard). Does anyone know of a source where I can learn the diving regulations for each island; or am I stuck researching island by island? It would truly suck to go through the hassle and expense of clearing in to an island, and then finding prohibitive diving regulations.

Many thanks.

I think St. Lucia has a similar rule. I think it's part protectionism of the industry and mostly protectionism of their reefs.

Belize allows diving from your own boat.

those two islands both fall under dutch law i believe. so you may find applicable regulations when searching for netherlands laws.
although it may be easier to contact one of the dive shops on the island and just ask them. i am sure they would provide you with the proper information. perhaps all you need is a permit to use the moorings.
i only know one person who sails in the caribbean and he has no issues. but he visits the BVI's

You can still dive from your own vessel on those two mentioned islands, but you need to hire a guide of one of the diveshops. Since I believe there is no source for all of the isalnds on that, I think it makes that you post here a list with all the islands you plan on heading to and the hopefully between all of us, we can get you an asnwer for all those islands!

You can still dive from your own vessel on those two mentioned islands, but you need to hire a guide of one of the diveshops. Since I believe there is no source for all of the isalnds on that, I think it makes that you post here a list with all the islands you plan on heading to and the hopefully between all of us, we can get you an asnwer for all those islands!
You might even find some islands only restrict the portion they have designated as a marine reserve. But that is probably the part you will want to dive.

Back
Top Bottom