Diving Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all.

Well it seems my work will soon be having me take a trip to Columbus Georgia for a face to face meeting.

So while I am all the way back there, it seems to me that I should take advantage of it and get in a dive or three...

So my question would be which way to head from Columbus GA?

It looks like I have several options within 3.5 to 4 hour drives.

Mobile
Pensacola
Panama City
Jacksonville
Savannah

Any and all comment/suggestions would be appreciated!

South. :D Pensacola and Panama City Beach are great dives this time of year.

As well, if you don't like salt water, Pelham Quarry is nearby in Birmingham, AL. Stop by Planet Ocean Scuba near the airport (avoid the PADI shop in town like the plague!!), and see what they may be planning.

Feel free to PM me when you're in town. I'm always open to heading down to the ocean for a weekend.

Thanks for the reply T.C.

Salt water is the only way to go! It's not like I don't dive fresh every now and then, but if salt is an option, I am there.

It looks like the drive to those sites is comparable to what I do to get to Monterey.

Do you boat dive or shore dive?

Thanks for the reply T.C.

Salt water is the only way to go! It's not like I don't dive fresh every now and then, but if salt is an option, I am there.

It looks like the drive to those sites is comparable to what I do to get to Monterey.

Do you boat dive or shore dive?
I do boat dives; but would be open to exploring the jetties at PCB; though I haven't done it yet.

I usually dive with Dive Locker in PCB, and Viking Diving in Pensacola.

Both offer trips to the off-shore wrecks that populate the area.

When do you get here?

Merritt's Mill Pond in Marianna is 3hrs from Columbus. Great collection of caves, including Jackson Blue which is readily accessible from shore. Awesome shop with Cave Adventurers, cannot say enough good things about Edd and his guys.

Panama City has surprisingly decent diving. Jacksonville is not worth the trip for diving.

I'll second Jerry at Planet Ocean, great shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'll second Jerry at Planet Ocean, great shop.
North Virginia...and he knows Jerry. Wow.

Well, that's what you get with 40 years of experience running a dive shop.

Truth in lending I learned to dive through Planet Ocean and I work most of the month aboard Ft Benning. I pass through the shop at least once or twice a month.

I'm always looking for dive buddies. If either of you ever want to dive within several hours of Columbus let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies here. I still don't have a firm date but it should be sometime over the next month.

It has been scheduled to just be a short one day face to face, but in talking with the customer, one of their first responses was, "Well plan to stay a week!"

All well and fine, but now we are talking budget.

Boat dives would be my preference on a trip like this.

OK, so finally have this trip booked.

I will be in Columbus on 8/25 and will be there through Thursday. That leaves Friday all day and Saturday am open for diving.

I am planning on driving down to Panama City thursday evening.

I am flying out Sunday morning from Columbus and am OK with an 18 hour interval after diving on Saturday.

So it seems there are a few dive ops to choose from and they all offer on shore or off shore dives.

Which dive ops should I consider and which should I avoid?

Other than time to get there and depth, what are the advantages and disadvantages of on or off shore?

---------- Post added August 8th, 2014 at 01:58 PM ----------

Also, will a 2 mil shorty be enough at the end of August?

So I am trying to get my ducks in order here.

I have signed up on two different charters on Saturday, 8/30 and need to cancel one of them.

Both are inshore.

2 Tank with Dive Locker
3 Tank with Better Bottom Time.

I am thinking of staying with the 3 tank dive. Any opinions?

As it turns out, it looks like the customer is backing on on a few days so I may now be able to dive Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as well. Friday was always part of the plan.

Any preferences of inshore or offshore? I know I want to do at least 1 offshore trip, just need to find one!

Is there any shorediving?

I had wanted to send T.C. a PM as he had requested above... But that option is not available. What's up with that?

Anyone interested in some mid week diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom